I love the Internet.

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Thanks to my trusty DVR, I've been able to catch up on a show I only recently started watching, CSI. Spike TV shows about 3 re-runs a day, I record the ones I haven't seen and watch them while I do other stuff around the house. I get through about 1 a day, so the backlog is huge.

As a little background, I hate it when crime or comedy shows go off on tangents about the characters' personal lives. I'm fine with some very minor stuff, but relationships between main characters kill me if it's not known from the beginning and stable (i.e. - no 10 minute drama-romance scenes in my damned crime show).

Anyway, in one the cute gap-tooth chicks asks the main guy out to dinner. It seems like Spike TV is running them in some kind of chronological order, so I want to know if this is going to be something that consumes the show. To save myself some viewing time (I do better work when not distracted by TV anyway) I get on Google to find out how big a deal this is. My search term: "grissom sidle relationship".

And there is at least one entire website dedicated to this tension-filled but payoff-free romance.

It's got the works:

Fan Art including horrible animated .gifs of scenes polluted by fanboy dreams.

Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction is usually too painful for me to read, but for those with strong wills they are comedy goldmines.

Quote:

?Ow! That smarts,? Sara said, wincing as she tried to move. She attempted to stand, but the deputy put a warm hand on her shoulder, shaking his head ?no?.

Pulling up her badge, he read, ?Sara Sidle. Hi, Sara,? he said, smiling warmly.

?What?s your name?? Sara asked, squinting at his nametag. ?Jeffrey Williamson,? she read aloud.

?Call me ?Jeff?,? he said, cocking his head, still smiling.

?How come I?ve never seen you before, Jeff?? she asked the handsome deputy.

Ow! That smarts!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    I imagine by cute gap tooth you are talking about las vegas CSI... no - the romance doesn't consume the show, but the tension is there pretty consistently. I love that show.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Yeah, nothing comes of it. It's not Love Boat in a CSI unit, like ER of DS9 became. Indeed, when we do get something about the characters' personal lives (Grissom has an issue in the second season, IIRC, and Willows has issues with her ex, and Warrick has ongoing issues throughout the series) it never really becomes more than background or counterpoint to the main point of the show.

You're safe. It's a solid series. I don't like any of the spin-offs, though.

To which I should add: If you're not watching it, House, M.D. is most excellent.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    House is good? I'll check it out. If it's anything like Grey's Anatomy let me know now before I get angry. My wife watches that goddam show and it makes me want to drill a hole in my skull. Patrick Dempsey, for god's sake.

Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

You're safe. It's a solid series. I don't like any of the spin-offs, though.

CSI:NY has people from a short-lived series I watched; The Handler. I record it and then erase it a few days later without watching it.

CSI:Miami has David Caruso, who is the worst actor in all of television, including local cable access. It's painful beauty, I fast-forward to his scenes just to laugh and cringe.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

House is good? I'll check it out. If it's anything like Grey's Anatomy let me know now before I get angry. My wife watches that goddam show and it makes me want to drill a hole in my skull. Patrick Dempsey, for god's sake.

I've never watched Grey's Anatomy, so I can't say. House has Hugh Laurie (from Blackadder), Omar Epps, Sela Ward, the woman who plays the hooker Sam Seaborn gets involved with in the first episode of The West Wing and the guy who kills himself in Dead Poets Society. House is a freakishly gifted diagnostician who is an utter asshole and who, because of chronic pain, eats vicodin like candy. He also has no people skills whatsoever. If you can get your hands on it (rental?), watch the first season episode "Three Stories" (episode 21, the internets tells me). A truly excellent hour of TV.

With that said, there was a rough patch in the first season where, for some idiotic reason, the producers tried to write in a nemesis for House. It flopped and they got rid of that storyline.

Quote:

CSI:NY has people from a short-lived series I watched; The Handler. I record it and then erase it a few days later without watching it.

CSI:Miami has David Caruso, who is the worst actor in all of television, including local cable access. It's painful beauty, I fast-forward to his scenes just to laugh and cringe. [/B]

The other CSIs suck.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    I like house a lot, but watching the first season this past few weeks kind of ticks me off... i would think there is enough medical jargon and ailments out there to have totally unique stories each show, but the same diagnoses are made in each show... maybe it's because this is actually how doctors think, but it bugs me a little. Aside from that nitpicky detail, I love it. You should definitely check it out... it's worth it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

CSI:Miami has David Caruso, who is the worst actor in all of television, including local cable access. It's painful beauty, I fast-forward to his scenes just to laugh and cringe.

If you listen to the way he talks when he takes off his glasses in the opening scene it sounds like he is burdened by life.