Your experiences so far with the dual core G5's

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi All,

Im posting this to get other user experiences who have just purchased the new DC G5's. Ill be getting the 2.3 w/2gb ram and the 7800GT here prob on Mon or Tue. Im upgrading my first ever mac/computer a B&W G3 300mhz (that I bought in May of 99) w/1gb of ram, and Im rather jazzed about it

Im interested in just about whatever you can think of, PS performance, UI performance, disk burning, searching, etc...

thanx!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I got the dualcore 2ghz.

Well, my first one died 14 days after purchase. But after a replacement from Apple (carried out with no questions asked), my second one is going strong. I wish I'd got the 7800 vid card... I've noticed mine complain slightly about some more demanding games.

I'm also waiting on some more RAM. At the moment it's not particularly snappy with things like finder browsing - not the quantifiable difference from my G4 I was hoping for. But any CPU stressful task goes quickly. When I put an extra GB in it, I reckon it'll be better.

Overall, I'm very pleased about it, and waiting for the 7800 to come out as after-market addon

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 14
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

Ill be getting the 2.3 w/2gb ram and the 7800GT here prob on Mon or Tue.

It might be worth waiting until all the announcements have been made in Jan.

If Apple repeats history, there's a good chance the 2.3 will get bumped to a Quad. Both the middle of the range G4s (450MHz) and G5s (1.8GHz) got the old dual processor treatment in their second revision.

I predict we'll see an all Quad line-up before long ? there's no other way to extend the headroom on the G5s, and they [Apple] have to extend the headroom somehow...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Im interested in just about whatever you can think of, PS performance, UI performance, disk burning, searching, etc...

Since I don't have a Power Mac, I will add a request for an easy to perform benchmark, but that I have never seen run. If I remember correctly from a discussion well in the past, Omniweb was optimized for multiple processors and it remains the only web browser with such optimizations. So, my request: can anyone open in a dual or quad Power Mac, say, 20-30 pages in tabs simultaneously, using Omniweb and another browser (Safari, Firefox, Camino), and report back? And of course, keep around open the Activity Monitor to see how goes CPU load.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

It might be worth waiting until all the announcements have been made in Jan.

If Apple repeats history, there's a good chance the 2.3 will get bumped to a Quad. Both the middle of the range G4s (450MHz) and G5s (1.8GHz) got the old dual processor treatment in their second revision.

I predict we'll see an all Quad line-up before long ? there's no other way to extend the headroom on the G5s, and they [Apple] have to extend the headroom somehow...

This is a wise advice. I have only some doubts that a move to a 2/3 or 3/3 quad line would happen in MWSF. Perhaps later in January or February, or most probably in a spring refresh (March-April).
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Well folks, I got my dual core G5 yesterdsay, and it was DOA, "dead on arrival", it woud not turn on, and tech support had me reset it by touching the battery on the inside, but it still didnt turn on . However Apple is emailin me the return slip so i can get a replacement.. man I am bummed, but this does happen from time to time ( first for me though) .

The machine was quite cold from being in storage on the fed ex truck when I opened it up from the box, I was wondering if that might have an effect? Im almost curious to pull it out of the box and try again now that it has been inside my room where it is not cold...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

tech support had me reset it by touching the battery on the inside,

Did you actually depress the CUDA switch? That sounds like what they were asking you to do.

Try it again - it's a teensy little circular button NEAR the battery, but not part of the battery.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Did you actually depress the CUDA switch? That sounds like what they were asking you to do.

Try it again - it's a teensy little circular button NEAR the battery, but not part of the battery.

Ok I found the CORRECT button and pushed it. Still no dice.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Mine is slated to arrive on Dec 27th. I'll be sure to post if any issues occur.

Neil
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by auslander

Mine is slated to arrive on Dec 27th. I'll be sure to post if any issues occur.

Neil

Ok cool. Good luck with your machine..I have to wait like another 2-3 weeks...and I haven't recieved the email from apple yet with the return info to give to fed ex damnit!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've had my new Quad 2.5 for a couple of weeks now... no problems at all, it's nice and Snappy™, and a little bit quieter running than my first-gen Dual 2.0.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I've had my new Quad 2.5 for a couple of weeks now... no problems at all, it's nice and Snappy™, and a little bit quieter running than my first-gen Dual 2.0.

I'm still hoping to get mine tomorrow (no info on Fedex.com yet though). How does the quad match up with your dual in terms of speed etc.?

Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Finally was able to get my dead G5 shipped back to Apple. The "supposed" automated businesss feature that was suppose to have sent me my return print out for fed ex failed and it never came until I called Apple 2 times about it and the second time the person on the other end manually emailed me the return fedex slip.

Now Im just waiting on my replacement....again \
  • Reply 13 of 14
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    well got my replacement G5 today, and it runs like friggin champ! the 7800 GT is kinda noisy, runs continiously it seems ( or maybe its the normal sys fans but its not that bad). Overall, it kicks. Its a huuuge step up from the G3. Apps start up quite quickly. I installed Bryce 5 and it starts instantaniously basically after its clicked on. PS CS in about 4 sec. I can actually scale app windows in real time now! no huge delay!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

the 7800 GT is kinda noisy, runs continiously it seems ( or maybe its the normal sys fans but its not that bad).

The 7800GT is rather noisy. If you find the noise levels annoying, this article may be of interest to you.