System Preferences accidentally deleted - please help

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

I moved the 'System Preferences' from 'Applications' to my 'Desktop' then I accidentaly sent it to Trash then emptied trash and now it is gone.

Could you please help and advise how I can restore the 'System Preferences'? Do I need to use the OSX install CDs? My OSX is Tiger.

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Try the program Pacifist which allows you to reinstall one app from the Mac OS X install DVD or CD.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

Try the program Pacifist which allows you to reinstall one app from the Mac OS X install DVD or CD.

Thank you for your help. This program looks like a perfect tool for reinstalling apps. However, in the meantime I have found sort of a way around it... I simply copied 'System Preferences' from another Mac (same OSX) to my Mac and it WORKS! This is quite amazing but it really works
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Agent Smith

I moved the 'System Preferences' from 'Applications' to my 'Desktop' then I accidentaly sent it to Trash then emptied trash and now it is gone.

Could you please help and advise how I can restore the 'System Preferences'? Do I need to use the OSX install CDs? My OSX is Tiger.

I read that you found a solution and that's the most important thing. What you SHOULD do in a situation like that, is to just grab that backup disc that you surely made the day before and take whatever file you need there!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Agent Smith

Thank you for your help. This program looks like a perfect tool for reinstalling apps. However, in the meantime I have found sort of a way around it... I simply copied 'System Preferences' from another Mac (same OSX) to my Mac and it WORKS! This is quite amazing but it really works

I'm sorry but I really don't understand what is so amazing about this, I've been just swapping in and out components from the macintosh system for over a decade, programs always install with just a drag and a drop.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

I'm sorry but I really don't understand what is so amazing about this, I've been just swapping in and out components from the macintosh system for over a decade, programs always install with just a drag and a drop.

Well, OSX is amazing! Just try to copy the 'Control Panel' over from one XP to another with drag and drop
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Ahhh, a Windows user, I apologize. In fact, the old classic Mac OS was even better in this manner. Back then you could install the entire operating system on one computer simply by copying the system folder from another, now you can still do that, but it requires a line or two in the terminal (specifically the bless command to show your computer that the System Folder you just copied is in fact a proper system folder) Enjoy your mac
  • Reply 7 of 8

When would you need to? Somebody won''t be stupid enough to right click their whole operating system and click "delete". You can delete or corrupt a program in Macintosh computers waaay easier than Windows.

• Reply 8 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Thanks for the necro, first¡ image

Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post

Somebody won''t be stupid enough to right click their whole operating system and click "delete".

Uh… huh. Yeah, no one has ever been tricked into deleting system32 before¡ image

You can delete or corrupt a program in Macintosh computers waaay easier than Windows.

Identically easily, actually.