Adding gigs to your harddrive

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I currently have a 14' iBook with 60 gigs of memory. How hard and expensive would it be to add more gigs to my internal hard drive?

20 gigs?

40 gigs?

Are external hard drives any good for laptops?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cato988

I currently have a 14' iBook with 60 gigs of memory.

Damn!

14 feet big and 60 Gigs of RAM!

Quote:

How hard and expensive would it be to add more gigs to my internal hard drive?

80-120 GB laptop hard drives range anywhere between 150 and 350 dollars.

In addition, there will be labor costs unless you wanna do it yourself (which voids your warranty and is a very, very difficult process, although a lot of people have done it and there's guides on a web -- even though I've done it myself three times, I still advise against it), which will range around $50-100.

Quote:

Are external hard drives any good for laptops?

They're no speed demons, but good enough for backups, and in some cases, for booting as well.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You can get a monstrous external drive for not too much coin. If you want to store lots of pictures, videos, and that sort of thing, I'd recommend going with the external. I don't remember if the iBook has firewire or not, but if it does, your external drive will be plenty fast and suitable for editing video on. USB 2.0 is pretty quick too, but -- for reasons that are a bit technical in nature -- it isn't really suitable for video editing.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    plus, if you get an external firewire drive, you can boot from the drive if you have os x installed on it. it may come in handy sometime if your ibook's drive fails for some reason.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    I have an external firewire 120 gig hard drive, and I love it, I have no problems with it. Personally I will not use a hard drive and or external burner unless it is firewire, I really do not like usb, it is very convinent, but I have not had a ton of luck with it, but I have all the luck in the world with firewire, I love firewire and I am almost to the point now where I am going to need a firewire hub so I can hookup everything to my iBook still.

I have upgraded an iBook before and I must agree with Chucker, it is very difficult and I do not recommend doing it yourself.

If you want more harddrive, I would recommend an external drive, I know you can now get a 1 Terabyte hard drive (1000 gigs) and I believe it is both usb2, firewire 400 and firewire 800. Here is the link:

Lacie 1TB USB/Firewire Hard Drive

Hope this helps

-iGrant