Is it time for a new iTunes visualizer?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is it just me, or has the iTunes visualizer been the same exact thing since version 1? I know there are 3rd party plugins, but I really like the apple visualizer. It looked great on my old 15 inch iMac, but it's quite... well... bad on my 20 inch cinema display. As a college student, I need this kind of psychedelic feature. What gives? Will Apple revamp its visualizer to support higher resolutions eventually?

-flinch13

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I understand your point, but why not make your own plug-in?

You could make it shareware and get some extra $$ for college.

Raman noodles gets old after a while don't they?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

I understand your point, but why not make your own plug-in?

You could make it shareware and get some extra $$ for college.

Raman noodles gets old after a while don't they?

Amen
  • Reply 3 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They should just buy that guy who makes G-Force. Nothing else compares.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    svinsvin Posts: 30member
    As far as I can see, the visualizer has been updated constantly with the different versions of itunes.

The weird thing is that it allways begins with the same orange pattern, letting people believe that it has never changed.

Actually I think its the most beautiful and varied visualizer on the market. Just hope they keep updating it!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by svin

As far as I can see, the visualizer has been updated constantly with the different versions of itunes.

The weird thing is that it allways begins with the same orange pattern, letting people believe that it has never changed.

Actually I think its the most beautiful and varied visualizer on the market. Just hope they keep updating it!

Actually, I don't know if I agree. The resolution of the visualizer has, according to my research, remained the same over the years. This is the main problem, IMHO.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I agree with svin. I think the patterns have updated in all major versions.

I like Apple's the best over the others like G-Force which are too geometric and simple looking. I like the total spectrum and blending of colors that Apples version has.

I do find however that I don't use it near as much as when iTunes first came out. Some of the novelty has worn off but I still like the visualizer.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    They should add some patterns from Motion. They are really cool.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I'd just really like to be able to turn on the visualisations when I'm in front row. Or do a new one which can do some funky stuff combining the iTunes visuals and the album art.

I'd like that.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    There was this one visualizer from Winamp, I think it was called Milkdrop, or similar. Some of the patterns were kinda crappy, but the good ones were the best that I have ever seen. They really seemed to capture the beat of songs very well without just showing frequency graphs in different positions like many of the patterns in iTunes.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I always found the iTunes visualizers slow or choppy. I think this has to do with how iTunes interacts with the plugin, rather than inefficient programming on the developers part. I used to run Whitecap on both MacAMP and iTunes and there was a HUGE difference between frame-rates. It never really got better in my opinion. I think that part f iTunes could use a little work/optimizing.