Will Aperture work on my 1Ghz Powerbook?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The specs say it need a 1.25 Ghz G4, i was wondering if it would work on this 1Ghz machine?

Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MARK_L

The specs say it need a 1.25 Ghz G4, i was wondering if it would work on this 1Ghz machine?

Cheers.

Not without the spec-bypass crack...and with 1.0.1 not at all (until someone cracks it again. )
  • Reply 2 of 10
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Not without the spec-bypass crack...and with 1.0.1 not at all (until someone cracks it again. )

No, and even if it did, it would be slow and unreliable. Stick with iphoto.

and save for a faster powerbook.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Im supprised by that.

iphoto is ok but i do pro photography so Aperture is what i need. Seems silly to stop a 'pro' powerbook user from using a pro app.

In fact im not just 'supprised' im quite annoyed!!!

Thanks anyway
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Im supprised by that.

iphoto is ok but i do pro photography so Aperture is what i need. Seems silly to stop a 'pro' powerbook user from using a pro app.

In fact im not just 'supprised' im quite annoyed!!!

Thanks anyway

You'd be *more* annoyed trying to run Aperture on a 1GHz G4. Suck it up and buy a faster machine.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

You'd be *more* annoyed trying to run Aperture on a 1GHz G4. Suck it up and buy a faster machine.

(Cr)aperture crashed my g4 1.5 17" powerbook with 2 gigs of ram.

It works ok on my dual g5 1.7.

I think that it all comes down to the graphics card and its performance.

The only thing I think would be useful on a powerbook is direct import of photos after a shoot. No edit just view.

Then when you get back to the studio use the G4 in target disk mode and import the photos into aperture.

Also, make sure that your camera is supported.

My Kodak dSLRn isn't So there is one more step in the workflow.

hope this helps.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    i want aperture becuase it will mean i can use 1 app instead of 2 / 3. I have to use Adobe DNG to get my .NEF files into photoshop to edit. I then have to save the RAW file / the DNG file and then the final image. Its all very messy - aperture will solve all this nicely!

Ive upraded to 1 gig of ram so i can use aperture - i had know idea it would be able to check the speed of the machine before installing!!

Nightmare!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

i want aperture becuase it will mean i can use 1 app instead of 2 / 3. I have to use Adobe DNG to get my .NEF files into photoshop to edit. I then have to save the RAW file / the DNG file and then the final image. Its all very messy - aperture will solve all this nicely!

Ive upraded to 1 gig of ram so i can use aperture - i had know idea it would be able to check the speed of the machine before installing!!

Nightmare!

Check the speed and the graphics card.

Up the ram some more.

Save up for a new machine.

Perhaps the MacIntel laptops will be better.

For now, It appears that it will work on the Powermacs.

I am still testing it out slowly.

I ordered one print. - Got a chinese/Japanese window. Had no choice so I clicked OK

I am working on basic editing now.

We shall see.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I can only have 1 Gig ram max and the i cant change the graphics card on this powerbook.

I read on some other forums that with the install hack it will run on a 1ghz powerbook - but will lag if i try and edit say, 100 images in one go. But for file browsing / simple editing it will be fine.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    My Friend, I only have one word:

eBay
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

I But for file browsing / simple editing it will be fine.

Stick with iphoto! and Photoshop Elements then.

This Aperture is most probably not for you. If you must resort to a hack to make it work. Apple will eventually disable this hack and where will you be?

See post above and ebay your powerbook if you feel compelled to use an unsupported machine against the good advise of this forum don't come crying to us.

As I said, It CRASHED my powerbook 1.5 with TWO gigs of ram!!

That is on a SUPPORTED machine.

Oh, and all of your photos must reside on an INTERNAL hard drive.