Anyone Have Problems with Suitcase 10?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I can't even get the damn thing to install. Seems the installer is looking for an OS 9 system folder or something, and refuses to install the application without its presense. Really fvcking supid if you ask me. Adobe's apps try to detect a "valid Classic environment" but if they don't find one, they still let you install the OS X version of their apps.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Moogs

FreeHand 10 slows down to a crawl on my machine (733MHz, OS 9.2.2, 1280MB) when MenuFonts is active, and I seem to have more crashes in general when MenuFonts is active, so I run mostly with MenuFonts inactive.

I haven’t tried to run Suitcase under OS X yet.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 2 of 6
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    MenuFonts? Is that a functional component of Suitcase?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>MenuFonts? Is that a functional component of Suitcase?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dear Moogs

Yes, sir. Think of Suitcase MenuFonts as an Extensis-branded version of TypeReunion. Extensis purchased MenuFonts from Doubl-Click (sp?) software before it rebirthed Suitcase as an Extensis product.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MenuFonts is only compatible with OS 9. If you are running OS X it should be disabled. Suitcase 10 has worked pretty well with both OSes. The only problem I have is it usually displays a dialog box saying I've got two Zapf Dingbat fonts open. (one from each OS) I always have to click the "Choose For Me" button. Kind of annoying.

David Grossman

DGDS
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Suitcase is buggy. I haven't had problems with the install (try running it from OS9?). That said I've had lots of problems:
    • automatically adds multiple copies of itself to my startup

• routinely crashes during reboots/logins

• isn't really integrated between OS9 and X, and so you have to add fonts and create sets twice. Fonts have to be turned on/off twice to get them in both OSs

• it randomly turns on my sets in OSX

• MenuFonts, never all that good, doesn't seem to work in Classic, and not at all in X.

• touching a corrupt font causes the program to crash. Apparently this is a feature.

• at random, the preview will draw T1 fonts "chunky" when the T1 is not broken in any way.

As well, it has absolutely no way to search through fonts.

It's a pretty big bitch list but the program does have its charms. I wonder why Apple has never provided some of these abilities in the OS? Or at least some tools for programers to make a decent font menu...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Dear David and MemeTransport

[quote]Originally posted by David Grossman:

<strong>The only problem I have is it usually displays a dialog box saying I've got two Zapf Dingbat fonts open. (one from each OS) I always have to click the "Choose For Me" button. Kind of annoying.

</strong><hr></blockquote>You can disable the annoyance you describe in Suitcase 10&#146;s preferences, under the General tab.

[quote]Originally posted by MemeTransport:

<strong>As well, it has absolutely no way to search through fonts.

</strong><hr></blockquote>Well, you could organize your fonts into sets yourself, like putting display faces into a &#147;Display&#148; set.

I&#146;ve been a daily user of Suitcase since 1990 and have also used ATM Deluxe on clients&#146; machines. I believe Extensis has really made Suitcase a better product. The Suitcase application and system functions it provides are stable for me, but I don't like the stability and performance penalties of Suitcase MenuFonts, which can be disabled. Suitcase 10 manages 1080 font families, or just under 5000 fonts, for me under OS 9.2.2.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: Jaddie ]</p>