Microsoft Office (Mac/PC)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The new microsoft office for PC is supposed to (and so far looks) leagues different the previous versions, Mac or PC. Microsoft obviously want's to release their office for PC first to give it the competative vibe and edge, but a new version of Office for Mac is getting closer and closer to when it should be updated, and from Microsoft we get not even a rumbling.

Since the last version of office for PC is 2003, and the most current one for mac 2004 (bear in mind early 2004), should we expect a new office in early 2007?

Also, I know that microsoft office for Macs lags in preformance. Do you think this proformance will bost when Apple switches to intel chips. (Example of prefomance lag shown through an eMachine from 2001 completing tasks almost 3 times faster in excel than this Power Mac G5 purcahsed in 2003.

I would also like to see a single version of office for both Mac and PC or at least on the same schedule with the same features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

The new microsoft office for PC is supposed to (and so far looks) leagues different the previous versions, Mac or PC. Microsoft obviously want's to release their office for PC first to give it the competative vibe and edge, but a new version of Office for Mac is getting closer and closer to when it should be updated, and from Microsoft we get not even a rumbling.

Since the last version of office for PC is 2003, and the most current one for mac 2004 (bear in mind early 2004), should we expect a new office in early 2007?

Also, I know that microsoft office for Macs lags in preformance. Do you think this proformance will bost when Apple switches to intel chips. (Example of prefomance lag shown through an eMachine from 2001 completing tasks almost 3 times faster in excel than this Power Mac G5 purcahsed in 2003.

I would also like to see a single version of office for both Mac and PC or at least on the same schedule with the same features.

This is not really anything that you should fret over. M$ Office:mac is due for an update in 2006. Whether it will get one is anyone's guess. Contrary to your opinion of its performance on the Mac, many Office:mac users believe that it is superior to its Windows sibling. The only reason to use Office is to maintain compatibility with Windows users. They are not all going to run out an buy new versions of the office suite. Therefore, Mac users have time to upgrade their copies before file exchanges become problematic.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    The mac version has a nearly real time word count at the bottom of the document in word and does smooth vector graphics.

This makes it light years ahead of the current pc version. The next will probably be up to scratch with the mac version although probably worse off interface wise