10.4.4 update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
anyone know why the update that has been talked about for ages hasnt happened before the holidays ????\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Survey Says:

Not Ready for Primetime Yet
  • Reply 2 of 10
    It is weird that it hasn't come out. Apple usually releases something before x-mas
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Hi

I happen to agree with you.

But these problems could be causing it to be delayed

Security Issue involving KHTML with Safari (All versions)

Java SE 1.5 has been seed to developers 3 times so far and when released will replace Java 1.3.1/1.4.2 completely

Itunes Security Issues

Quicktime Security issues with .mov files and others

All the above items are part of the system and need to be working when released.

I hope we see it soon rather than later.

Rob
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Unless it is part of something grand that will be unleashed at MWSF.

That would make sense.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Keep it till it's ready. I can wait.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I am willing to wait in the hope they do fix the above issues.

They possibly are testing something new that will require 10.4.4 as well.

Rob
  • Reply 7 of 10
    The update won't happen until near/after keynote.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rob05au

Java SE 1.5 has been seed to developers 3 times so far and when released will replace Java 1.3.1/1.4.2 completely

Java 1.5 has been here since the launch of Tiger. An update (Release 4) has been seeded 3 times, and no, it won't replace either Java 1.3 or 1.4.

It will, however, respect the JVM settings that developers use when specifying what JVM an app should use - meaning that specifying 1.3+ or 1.4+ in the properties will use 1.5 if installed.

1.3 and 1.4 won't go away.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Hi

Just a little added info about the next Java update

Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Release 4 delivers improved reliability and compatibility for J2SE 5.0 on Mac OS X v10.4.3 and later. This release includes J2SE version 1.5.0_06. With this update J2SE 5.0 becomes the preferred Java version, superseding Java 1.4.2. Java 1.4.2 is still installed on your machine, but applications run with J2SE 5.0 unless they specifically request Java 1.4.2.

Rob
  • Reply 10 of 10
    My guess is Jan 10, along with the first Mactels. 10.4.4 will be needed for the Mactels and there is no need to release it before then.