iMac G5 RAM

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I currently have 512MB of RAM in my G5 iMac. I want to add some more, but I don't want to pay so much for it from Apple. Has anyone added 3rd party RAM to their G5. If so, what brands so you suggest? Thanks, Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mine came with 256.... I added 2x512 of whatever generic brand CompUSA had on sale at the time.... been working fine for over a year.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    i checked out NEWEGG.com and found a ocz 1 gig ddr2 memory for like 70 bucks. i am getting an 17' imac G5 this week with and upgraded 250gb hard sweet, then upgrade next week. or may be a get a 2gb. yeah like i got 400 for a 2 gb stick.

Well ther you have it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rise Above

i checked out NEWEGG.com and found a ocz 1 gig ddr2 memory for like 70 bucks. i am getting an 17' imac G5 this week with and upgraded 250gb hard sweet, then upgrade next week. or may be a get a 2gb. yeah like i got 400 for a 2 gb stick.

Well ther you have it.

Do you really need another 2GB? I have 512 on my brand new 20", and I'm going to just stick a gig in it, bringing it to 1.5. Unless you're doing some serious shit, you shouldn't need more than that. It's $70-80 for a 1GB stick, and $260-$400 for 2GB stick. You decide. Even with 512, mine is running pretty well....much faster than my G4 powerbook which had a gig (I know, apples to oranges...but still).

SDW