Need help setting up a wireless router

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I desperately need help setting up a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router on Mac OSX 3.9. I know the CD doesn't work on OSX, and the router didn't come with any directions, so I'm kinda lost here. Help me out!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Genius Bar?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Hook it up:

Connect your broadband connection from the wall to your router, connect the router to your Mac.

Open up whatever browser you use and in the address field type in 192.168.1.1

It will then ask you for your login/password. The default for Linksys is admin/admin (this is one of the three things that you must change for security purposes after you are up and running)

Now you are in and can secure your router.

Things to change:
    • Default password

• Disable SSID broadcast

• Enable wireless security (Either WPA or even better, WPA2

If you are using the router for wireless, consider locking the router to the MAC address of the computer(s) that'll be connecting to the router.

MAC in this instance refers to the unique ID that each ethernet card has. You can find it by opening System Profiler (Under the Apple in the Menu Bar, select "About This Mac", then click on "More Info". Click on "Network" in System Profiler to find the MAC address of that Mac).

If you aren't using the router for wireless, disable it altogether.

Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I tried typing in 192.168.1.1. in the address field in both Safari and Firefox, but in both browsers it didn't work and got a "could not connect" or "attempt was refused" message.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I desperately need help setting up a Linksys WRT54GS V.4 wireless router on Mac OSX 3.9. I know the CD doesn't work on OSX, and the router didn't come with any directions, so I'm kinda lost here. A poster told me to type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of my browser, but that didn't work as I was given "couldn't connect" and "attempt refused" mesages. Help me out!

(by the way, sorry about making this thread in Current Hardware before).
  • Reply 5 of 15
    First of all, you should start with wired connection, that should work straight out of box, wireless connection has to be configured before it can be used. Linksys website says 192.168.16.1 is the default address for your router, you should try that. You can find more instructions from here
  • Reply 6 of 15
    OK, it looks like the default username/password is different for the GS.

Do you even get the window that pops up asking for your username/password?

If so, leave the username blank and enter admin for the password.

If you're not getting the username/password dialog box at all, then I'm not sure what's going on.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FullMetalFox

I tried typing in 192.168.1.1. in the address field in both Safari and Firefox, but in both browsers it didn't work and got a "could not connect" or "attempt was refused" message.

OK make sure you are connected correctly.

Cable or DSL? You don't say.

The cable modem or DSL modem has ethernet? (a plug that looks like an oversized telephone plug)

- Make sure the router is plugged in and the lights on the front are lit.

- Connect the ethernet from the cable/DSL modem to the "uplink" port of the router.

- For now, connect another ethernet cable between one of the other 4 ports on the router and the ethernet jack on the back of the computer.

- Type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar in Safari and return. You should get a password dialog. Try admin/admin or blank and admin. Go to the Linksys.com site to look for the instruction manual also.

- IF the password works, find the part of the setup page where you turn on the wireless. Give the network a name. Turn ii on.

Open System Preferences-> Network, choose "Show -> Network Port Configurations" and make sure "Airport" is checked. (I assume since you asked about a wireless router that you want to connect wirelessly. You of course need an Airport card in the computer to do so).

- Under the Airport tab in the Network settings, make sure it is set to "Use DHCP" and the router (gateway) address is set to 192.168.1.1 and hit Apply.

Pull down the Airport menu in the menu bar and make sure it says "Turn Airport On".

- Finally, unplug the ethernet cable from the computer and then try and select the network in the Airport menulet.

- Try to surf.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Thanks for the merge, lundy.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I checked all the cables, they were fine, but I tried the wired connection and that didn't work. I have DSL. I don't have an AirPort card. And when I tried typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, I don't get a username/password dialog.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

First of all, you should start with wired connection, that should work straight out of box, wireless connection has to be configured before it can be used. Linksys website says 192.168.16.1 is the default address for your router, you should try that. You can find more instructions from here

• Reply 11 of 15
    Yeah, what he said.

You MUST set it up wired before you can get the wireless working.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Well that's not the router I have, but I found the one I do have on the site and downloaded a manual.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FullMetalFox

I don't have an AirPort card. And when I tried typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, I don't get a username/password dialog.

OK so you are connecting wired. Ignore all the lines I wrote about getting the wireless to work.

You just need to find out the default router address for Linksys. Netgear uses the common 192.168.0.1, but LinkSys has always been different.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

OK so you are connecting wired. Ignore all the lines I wrote about getting the wireless to work.

You just need to find out the default router address for Linksys. Netgear uses the common 192.168.0.1, but LinkSys has always been different.

• Reply 15 of 15
    Linksys does in fact use 192.168.1.1; it is NOT 192.168.0.1

Try adding http:// in front..