Should I buy a new iPod Video or wait for future models?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am very interested in purchasing a new iPod Video to replace my 3G iPod. Since my 3G iPod is still working okay (with hopefully a new battery coming soon, from Apple's iPod settlement) I am wondering if I should wait for the next generation of iPods.

What is missing from the current 5G iPods that will be addressed in a future model? What could possibly be in store for 6G iPods? Wi-Fi doesn't really seem that useful to me in an iPod. I am not really interested in FM Radio or satellite radio integration.

I wonder if next big hurdle for Apple is to include some sort of input functionality into the iPod. So the iPod essentially becomes a PDA. I am thinking of a Nintendo DS style touch screen to replace the current click wheel setup. This touch screen could serve as a click wheel, or a keyboard or even a game pad.

The ability to use my iPod as a PDA is very enticing for me. It is too soon for this type of functionality in the 6G iPods though?

Comments welcome.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Let me ask you this, What is missing from the 3G that is not also missing in the 5G.

I has very happy with my 4G 60 but got the new one. I sold my brother the other one for $100 less than a new one would cost me (he needed firewire and doesn't trust Ebay plus it was also part of interest on a loan). The reason i did it was 1) the size was a lot smaller and 2) i liked the lyrics feature and blue dots next to the podcasts.

I regret it a bit but at the same time, it cost me $100 and not $300-$400. I think i will use the video function in the summer when i am taking the train to work rather than driving to school.

So, all in all, its up to you. Anything 3rd or more is really fine IMO. BTW, i do not think there will ever be more PDA functionality. Steve hates PDAs and really hated the Newton.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

So, all in all, its up to you. Anything 3rd or more is really fine IMO. BTW, i do not think there will ever be more PDA functionality. Steve hates PDAs and really hated the Newton.

Before the iPod Video, Steve repeatably stated watching video on an iPod was not practical. But now it obvious that Steve was lying to us (through media interviews) when all along an iPod Video and iTunes Video store were in the works.

Apple has to keep the iPod franchise rolling somehow. PDA functionality would be great. I am not sure its 6G territory.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Before the iPod Video, Steve repeatably stated watching video on an iPod was not practical. But now it obvious that Steve was lying to us (through media interviews) when all along an iPod Video and iTunes Video store were in the works.

Apple has to keep the iPod franchise rolling somehow. PDA functionality would be great. I am not sure its 6G territory.

Dave

tu-chez ( i have no clue how it is spelt)

It would be great to have PDA functionality but it may be a while for 6G. At the same time, if you are happy with the 3G, keep it
  • Reply 4 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yeah, who knows...Apple may be in the planning stages of buying out Palm.

But I'd keep the 3G iPod unless you can sell it for say $50-75 less than this new 5G iPod.

The video's great, but unless you're going to using it specifically for that, it's still just an iPod (albeit thinner and sexier)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Dave unless you absolutely need the video feature of a 5G iPod or need more capacity say with your 3G.

Apple is appealing the iPod settlement so it's anybody's guess as to when a replacement battery will turn up. If battery life is a problem you can always get a replacement battery from Newer Tech and install it yourself.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Dave unless you absolutely need the video feature of a 5G iPod or need more capacity say with your 3G.

Apple is appealing the iPod settlement so it's anybody's guess as to when a replacement battery will turn up. If battery life is a problem you can always get a replacement battery from Newer Tech and install it yourself.

Actually, the attempted settlement appeal is over. See here:

http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/

Any day now <wink, wink>.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Actually, the attempted settlement appeal is over. See here:

http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/

Any day now <wink, wink>.

Dave

Thanks, that's nice to know. Given the speed Apple has moved on this I'll probably get my $50 credit in time to use it on 10.5.