More ideas for iTunes video content

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sorry if I seem like a square but i would like to see educational content available. I think iTunes could be more than just an entertainment tool. Of course there are some video streams available from PBS,NASA TV and a few others. There could be much more. Cultural events, Government, Science, Education, History.

A few Ideas I would like to see:
  • Access to video resources in the Library of Congress and public universities.

• Recorded special interest group meetings such as Mac user groups, astronomy clubs, economic clubs, ect.

• State and local government events and meetings.

• Museum tours and exibitions.

• Opera (with subtitles), ballet.

• Religious services.

• Instructional how to videos.

any more ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Sorry if I seem like a square but i would like to see educational content available. I think iTunes could be more than just an entertainment tool. Of course there are some video streams available from PBS,NASA TV and a few others. There could be much more. Cultural events, Government, Science, Education, History.

A few Ideas I would like to see:Access to video resources in the Library of Congress and public universities.
    Recorded special interest group meetings such as Mac user groups, astronomy clubs, economic clubs, ect.
    State and local government events and meetings.
    Museum tours and exibitions.
    Opera (with subtitles), ballet.
    Religious services.
    Instructional how to videos.
    any more ideas?

Bandwidth and servers and people to maintain the servers and such is not cheap, how would this be paid for? ads? subscribtion? government funding ?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    well actually one of my friends has this sofware allowing him to put a video or dvd into the ipod, this would kind of sort out the problem...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    the only problem of downloading content like this is how would apple be able to cope with the shear vastness of the genres that you stated. The only way this would be possible is if the content was downloaded from a seperate network of websites but this would not be controlled by apple
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Access to video resources in the Library of Congress and public universities.
    Instructional how to videos.

These are to things I can see being added. I would expect CSPAN to add content within the next year. Expect to see important speeches, sessions of congress, and maybe pressers appearing. Not archives, but current events.

I also think companies like The Home Depot should begin to sponsor "how to" videos for things around your house. Maybe Home and Garden TV/Magazine doing gardening stuff, etc.

Beyond that it takes way to much time, bandwidth, and money to add video that local content is almost out of the question (which is the trend in media today anyway).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Some universities do have special content channels on iTMS for audio, I'm sure video could be added as well.

For some of those genres (instructional, special interest, religious, ballet/opera) people should pay per download, while others (Library of Congress) could be offered for free.

I think Apple will start to allow podcasters to charge for downloads/subscriptions which will bring this type of content to iTMS in the very near future.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I want sporting events in iTunes. I want to be able to buy old and new Football (American) games would be awesome.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    The easy way to solve this would be to ask the people who govern that media setctre to add the content to their own sites thus allowing low cost, low bandwidth, easy access videos which could even include local info. This method would ensure that news even from your street etc... would be available. What i mean as in your street info is: well a lot of neighbourhoods have their own local paper which would have a website, the info on the website could be made downloadable thus providing content.

Sorted...best method available plus it can be done and is being done eg the BBC