Apple's iLife suite may gain Web tools

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Scroll to the bottom and to the right under "Additional Resources". Little slip on their part?







http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/podcasts/
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 110
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rOckAPE

    Scroll to the bottom and to the right under "Additional Resources". Little slip on their part?







    http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/podcasts/




    A slip alright...but it's been confirmed for years that iLife '06 would be released January 2006.
  • Reply 2 of 110
    or a typo.



    I thought they fired all the website "premature specification" folks back in 2003.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    You mean to tell me NOBODY noticed the NEW iLife'06 app called "iWeb" just above that???





    www.homeonthemac.com/iLife'06_goof!.png
  • Reply 4 of 110
    Holy crap. It sure sounds like Front Page for Mac ? don't it?



    Long, long overdue IMO. Moreso than a spreadsheet app.



    I hope it turns out to be true.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rOckAPE

    You mean to tell me NOBODY noticed the NEW iLife'06 app called "iWeb" just above that???





    www.homeonthemac.com/iLife'06_goof!.png




    Interesting...I don't know if I just didn't notice it or if it was already gone when I clicked your link but it sure sounds like something that'll make RapidWeaver and Sandvox developers cry.



    One of the Sandvox developer will surely fling his arms up in disgust. If iWeb turns out to be a webpage/blog/RSS/podcast creation app, this developer (also the creator of Watson) won't be very happy.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    looks like it has been corrected.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    Quote:

    Originally posted by curiousuburb

    looks like it has been corrected.



    Yep... it does appear to be corrected. It just says iLife '05 now and there is no reference to iWeb.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,807member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by mmcgann11

    Long, long overdue IMO. Moreso than a spreadsheet app.





    Now let's not be ridiculous. There are multiple products on the platform for low-end web design.



    We have yet to see a single Cocoa spreadsheet program.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    We have yet to see a single Cocoa spreadsheet program.



    I don't think you ever will. Why? Spreadsheets aren't "creative." They don't cause you to "Think different." They're boring business apps and I don't see Apple creating one.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 43,540administrator
    A slip-up on Apple Computer's website on Thursday revealed that the Mac maker may be prepping a new version of its iLife digital life style suite that will include a Web design application.



    iLife '06 with iWeb



    Just before noon on Thursday, the company's Garageband and Support websites displayed links to non-existent iLife '06 product pages and listed "iWeb" as one of its included applications. Released last year at Macworld Expo in San Francisco, iLife '05 -- the current version of the suite -- includes only iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, GarageBand, and iTunes.



    Sources had previously told AppleInsider that Apple was preparing to introduce a new Web design application during next week's Macworld Expo, which would integrate with the company's .Mac suite of Internet services.



    The Web application, referred to as "Webpages 1.0" by AppleInsider sources, is said to draw heavily from components in Apple's "Pages" application to provide easy drag-and-drop capability for a variety of Web-optimized content and media types.



    If Webpages and iWeb are one and the same, users of the application should be able to drag and drop everything from pictures and movies to widgets, iCal calendars and iTunes playlist into pre-designed Web page templates.



    The application will reportedly bundle a set predefined modules with specific behaviors, such as: blank webpage; photo album; photo slideshow; movie album; blog; forms; comments; custom code (HTML & PHP) and; secure zone (https + authentication).



    Enhancing .Mac



    Members of Apple's .Mac Internet services may be able to purchase domain names (.com, .net, and .org) directly from within the Web application, sources have said. Alternatively, the application will allow quick and simple Web site publishing through a member's existing .Mac Web space.



    Apple reportedly set out to design the new Web application in a way that it would enhance its consumer software offerings and drive subscriptions to its .Mac internet services (which it hopes will reach 1 million users sometime this year).



    In an effort to provide better value against a plethora of free services on the Internet -- including those offered by Internet giants such as Google and Yahoo! -- the company may also slash the yearly .Mac subscription fee from $99.95 to an appeal price of $69.95, sources added.



    To support the new Web application and its many features, .Mac is also expected to receive a slight upgrade to support PHP and SQL. Additionally, sources say the Web application may provide more custom options--including pre- and user-defined templates--for all Web pages published to users' .Mac accounts through iMovie and iPhoto.



    iWork '06?



    While sources have yet to offer details on upgrades to other iLife '06 applications, they say the company has been working to create a more consistent look and feel between all of its iLife digital lifestyle applications. Similarly, Apple has also been working on an update to its relatively new iWork productivity suite, which has not met with as much success as the company had hoped.



    If reports are accurate, Apple had originally planned to introduce the Pages-based Web application (Webpages 1.0) as content creation software in iWork '06, but recently changed its mind to favor the digital lifestyle market.



    iWork '06 is still expected to pack at least one new application, an Apple-branded spreadsheet application dubbed Numbers 1.0, along with updates to Pages and Keynote.



    Word of the iLife '06 slip-up on Apple's Garageband Web site first appeared on the AppleInsider.com forums.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    boogabooga Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Frank777

    We have yet to see a single Cocoa spreadsheet program.



    Who cares about Cocoa? Carbon or Cocoa doesn't matter to me... just add the spreadsheet app so we don't have to use NeoOffice/J.
  • Reply 12 of 110
    if iweb 1.0 is like pages 1.0 it wont matter it will b e bugg ridden and missing major needed features or something will f up..
  • Reply 13 of 110
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,983member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CosmoNut

    I don't think you ever will. Why? Spreadsheets aren't "creative." They don't cause you to "Think different." They're boring business apps and I don't see Apple creating one.



    It has nothing to do with being "creative". It has to do with the fact that developers (Apple included) will have to use Cocoa to develop on Mactels. Any program that isn't going to continue to run through Rosetta will HAVE, finally, to be a Cocoa program.



    And this is nonsense about "creativity" anyway. Apple is also about business. And business needs a spreadsheet. Appleworks had one. iWork had better get one as well. iWork is supposed to be the modern replacement for Appleworks. Appleworks has been one of the most widely used progroms in schools for the K-12 market, Mac and PC. If iWorks is going to replace it, it needs to have the same program set.



    Don't forget that Apple also owns Filemaker, one of the most successful databases around.



    And, please, don't tell us how creative that is.
  • Reply 14 of 110
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    It has nothing to do with being "creative". It has to do with the fact that developers (Apple included) will have to use Cocoa to develop on Mactels. Any program that isn't going to continue to run through Rosetta will HAVE, finally, to be a Cocoa program.



    And this is nonsense about "creativity" anyway. Apple is also about business. And business needs a spreadsheet. Appleworks had one. iWork had better get one as well. iWork is supposed to be the modern replacement for Appleworks. Appleworks has been one of the most widely used progroms in schools for the K-12 market, Mac and PC. If iWorks is going to replace it, it needs to have the same program set.



    Don't forget that Apple also owns Filemaker, one of the most successful databases around.



    And, please, don't tell us how creative that is.




    agreed. sometimes us "creatives" still have to pay bills and invoice people.
  • Reply 15 of 110
    Isn't AppleWorks too old to go the universal binaries route? I have iWork 05 and have long felt that it is the AppleWorks replacement. It needs a spreadsheet, a db (FileMaker Express?) and the wizards & templates updated from AppleWorks. At that point Apple will have a Mactel ready replacement for AppleWorks and can stop investing in it. I'm thinking that iWorks 06 will be a full suite and will be included with Intel based iBooks and Mac minis.



    iWeb might be the key for increasing .Mac accounts - especially if the annual fee drops. I'm looking forward to that one.
  • Reply 16 of 110
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,983member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kenaustus

    Isn't AppleWorks too old to go the universal binaries route? I have iWork 05 and have long felt that it is the AppleWorks replacement. It needs a spreadsheet, a db (FileMaker Express?) and the wizards & templates updated from AppleWorks. At that point Apple will have a Mactel ready replacement for AppleWorks and can stop investing in it. I'm thinking that iWorks 06 will be a full suite and will be included with Intel based iBooks and Mac minis.



    iWeb might be the key for increasing .Mac accounts - especially if the annual fee drops. I'm looking forward to that one.




    Apple hasn't upgraded Appleworks for years. They lost interest in it.



    iWork seems to be a replacement. But ir sure isn't complete yet. Maybe that's why it doesn't do well. Apple has been giving it away over the past year, with other purchased, in the hope that it will gain a user base.



    I'd love to see that.
  • Reply 17 of 110
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

    To support the new Web application and its many features, .Mac is also expected to receive a slight upgrade to support PHP and SQL.



    So... what does this mean technically? Will Apple be running PHP and SQL instances on their side. Or does this simply mean .Mac hosted pages can be linked to instances we're running locally?



    The former would be ridiculously great.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    It has nothing to do with being "creative". It has to do with the fact that developers (Apple included) will have to use Cocoa to develop on Mactels. Any program that isn't going to continue to run through Rosetta will HAVE, finally, to be a Cocoa program.[/B]



    Sigh. This is not true. You can develop Carbon applications in XCode targetted at Intel.



    I disagree with the OP that it's not important though. Cocoa apps have much richer support from the OS and better integration with things like services and standard dialogs. Just look at Pages or Keynote for applications which use Cocoa to the extreme. It's also sadly why some people who don't 'get' Cocoa, don't 'get' Apple's newer applications too.



    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    And this is nonsense about "creativity" anyway. Apple is also about business. And business needs a spreadsheet.



    Some would say my accounting is quite creative. ;-)
  • Reply 19 of 110
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AppleInsider

    While sources have yet to offer details on upgrades to other iLife '06 applications, they say the company has been working to create a more consistent look and feel between all of its iLife digital lifestyle applications.



    As long as this means that Garageband will look more like the other iLife apps and not the other way around -- I am all for it.
  • Reply 20 of 110
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    Apple hasn't upgraded Appleworks for years. They lost interest in it.





    I thought it was more the case that the team left to form Gobe and create Gobe Productive for BeOS and then latterly for Windows. I had a copy on BeOS and it was a great tightly integrated suite that followed on logically from Works.



    Last I heard Apple had re-hired most of Gobe back. That was before Pages.
Sign In or Register to comment.