Apple monitor calibration

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have to calibrate my monitor--I am just fed up with wasting ink and paper.

I am looking at the Spyder 2 Pro but the local store suggested the Monaco optix.

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have both.

The spyder works very well. I actually prefer the results the cheaper Photocal software over the Optical version for professionals. I still used both. You need to buy other packages to create printer and scanner profiles.

The Monico calibrator is a bit more trickier. It can make monitor, printer, and scanner profiles. However, the software creates a printer profile by using your scanner so acuracy is only as good as your weakest link. I have a good scanner, but all the profiles I make for my Epson 2200 have a red or blueish tint in the dark areas. It wastes a hell of a lot of ink. I went back to canned profiles. The scanner profile works great (as long as you set up your software properly.)

X-rite (which makes the Monico product) has much more advanced printer profile products that cost a pretty penny. They may have a show discount at Macworld.

Overall, the Photocal and Monico profiles look fantastic with Optical a very close second.