if only apple could do this

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.sanyodigital.com/HD1/features.html and intergrate the ipod user experience in to it.

nothing is being said much about it yet but if this thing is good quality then its the product of the year at the 700.00 price point

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Looks cool, but.... 720p HD on an SD card? That's going to run into some money if you shoot anything more than short clips.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I already priced it out....a 2 gig sd card can be had for about 160.00 which equates to 44 min of video at highest quality, so 700 msrp plus 160....I can do that
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

http://www.sanyodigital.com/HD1/features.html and intergrate the ipod user experience in to it.

nothing is being said much about it yet but if this thing is good quality then its the product of the year at the 700.00 price point

This camcorder does not qualify as HD. 720/60p is high-definition. 720/30p is not. This camcorder has approximately the data rate of a progressive scan DVD.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

720/60p is high-definition. 720/30p is not

Since when? Please quote the source of your information.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Still gotta be better than the resolution you get now from the iTMS.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

This camcorder has approximately the data rate of a progressive scan DVD.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to say that you are dead wrong about 720/30p being about the same data rate as a progressive DVD.

NTSC has a vertical resolution of 480 lines, and is stored on the DVD at a rate of 23.976 frames per second (this is, in almost all cases, output to the display at 29.97 frames per second)

So, comparing NTSC DVD to 720/30p, we are talking about the approximately the same number of frames per second delivered to the screen, but 1/4 the number of pixels (1/2 the resolution in vertical and horizontal). Therefore, 1/4 the data rate.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The real question is whether iMovie and Final Cut can edit this video.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

The real question is whether iMovie and Final Cut can edit this video.

It should be able to, assuming it uses a standard video file format. The ingest will change, though. Instead of recording through firewire, you'd just import the files into the appropriate bin.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

So, comparing NTSC DVD to 720/30p, we are talking about the approximately the same number of frames per second delivered to the screen, but 1/4 the number of pixels (1/2 the resolution in vertical and horizontal). Therefore, 1/4 the data rate.

No, 720/30p would have about the same number of pixels as 480/60p. Do the math.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

No, 720/30p would have about the same number of pixels as 480/60p. Do the math.

I find it quite funny that you've responded to a post where I did "do the math".

You seem to have ignored it.

1) Progressive NTSC DVD is not 480/60p. It is 480/29.97p. See my post above to see how this leads to a 1/4 data rate relative to 720/30p.

2) Even if it was 480/60p, each frame would have 1/4 the number of pixels of a 720 frame, so at double the frame rate, the overall data rate would come out at 1/2 that of 720/30p.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

This camcorder does not qualify as HD. 720/60p is high-definition. 720/30p is not. This camcorder has approximately the data rate of a progressive scan DVD.

Wrong.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mercury7mercury7 Posts: 203member
    I think everyone can get caught up in the sematics of what is hi def and whats not....but the point is that this is a break through product...mainly in price...it is going to be 10 times better than what is available to the normal consumer(gotta wait for it to be available to be sure)

so hi def or not...it is close enough to be awesome.

and it assures that by the end of the year there will be competing products announced. I just really hope they upgrade imovie to edit mp4 natively just to make it easier...I hate having to convert video...it really slows down the creative process....on a side note I think it would be great also if they could implement keyframing and two more tracks of audio....I have final cut pro but love the simplicity of imovie's user interface.