TS: New iBooks / Mac Minis / Etc

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well... I think TS is taking a big shot in the dark by saying everything is going to be announced tomorrow. I'm still very skeptical of apple releasing these products tomorrow.

From what TS is saying iBook wise:
Quote:

Hot on the heels of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), which saw Intel introduce its new Core Duo processor (code-named Yonah) and Centrino Duo platform, Apple is poised to deliver its first Intel systems a full six months earlier than first expected. Think Secret was first to report in November that an Intel-based iBook would see the day of light for the first time in San Francisco. Since our initial report, sources have added that the new iBook will apparently be equipped with a 13.3-inch widescreen display, replacing the current 14.1-inch model. A 12.1-inch model is expected to remain as well. While unconfirmed, it is widely expected that the iBook will receive a significant design revamp with the new model, including a thinner enclosure.

advertisement

Although Apple watchers have rightly pointed out that a dual-core Intel iBook would outperform Apple's current PowerPC-based PowerBook line, Think Secret sources have yet to disclose any substantial information regarding the company's PowerBook plans. In a more recent report, Think Secret exclusively revealed that Intel is planning two versions of its Core Duo processor, as well as two versions of a single-core processor based on the same architecture. This processor road map suggests that faster Core Duo PowerBooks with the "performance" variant of the Yonah chip could appear at Macworld Expo or later in the first quarter.

Do you feel this will happen tomorrow? If not when? If yes... will it be these specs? I seriously don't see it happening but I've been wrong before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Well... I think TS is taking a big shot in the dark by saying everything is going to be announced tomorrow. I'm still very skeptical of apple releasing these products tomorrow.

From what TS is saying iBook wise:

Do you feel this will happen tomorrow? If not when? If yes... will it be these specs? I seriously don't see it happening but I've been wrong before.

A lot of laptops have been introduced with the Yonah chip. When do they ship and how much do they cost? Does that tell us something about what will be reveled tomorrow?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    NEC Plans Yonah Laptop

Have actual yonah laptops been released? I find it really funny that companies will announce plans for their new computers but apple would never do this... hence our forums =)
  • Reply 3 of 16
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

A lot of laptops have been introduced with the Yonah chip. When do they ship and how much do they cost? Does that tell us something about what will be reveled tomorrow?

Lots have been announced but I'm betting Apple will be first to market.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Hmm... ThinkSecret doesn't have any real information. Remember in the past, by announcement day eve, TS would have revealed actual specs and price information?

What they have as of now is nothing but rumblings of possible iBook, Mac mini updates. Everybody and their brother is doing that. They used to be able to tell what GHz processor, what graphics, how much RAM, and price. With the switch to Intel, it looks like TS's mole didn't switch along with Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    TS carry a lot of weight.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Hmm... ThinkSecret doesn't have any real information. Remember in the past, by announcement day eve, TS would have revealed actual specs and price information?

What they have as of now is nothing but rumblings of possible iBook, Mac mini updates. Everybody and their brother is doing that. They used to be able to tell what GHz processor, what graphics, how much RAM, and price. With the switch to Intel, it looks like TS's mole didn't switch along with Apple.

I do remember those days THT. What happened? Did the lawsuit totally screw them up?

Its unfortunate that apple never ever ever makes pre-announcements like 99% of the companies out there do.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Lots have been announced but I'm betting Apple will be first to market.

My point is that the machines announced so far have been expensive (for an iBook) and have shipping times of Feb/March.

Something tells me we are going to see a new Powerbook and not an iBook.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I do remember those days THT. What happened? Did the lawsuit totally screw them up?

The other possibility is that there is really nothing big in hardware, contrary to what the rumor mill let us imagine.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

The other possibility is that there is really nothing big in hardware, contrary to what the rumor mill let us imagine.

Heh... powerbook / imac?

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I want to go on record and say this. Every single rumor site was off the wall... every single one of them predicted new iBook and Mac Mini! Thats 0/2 for all of them. =) pwnt

hrm... I want to dig through the old threads to say I TOLD YOU GUYS SO!!! I said on these threads... that hte powerbook would be the first intel mac... I was close (imac is)... but they were announced the same day. My reasoning triumphed. Reasoning was they are used more by devs than any other machine... they need the software out now! ok I'm done =)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

My point is that the machines announced so far have been expensive (for an iBook) and have shipping times of Feb/March.

Something tells me we are going to see a new Powerbook and not an iBook.

Bingo, I got bingo!!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Bingo, I got bingo!!

You certainly win. Too bad there isn't any prize.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

You certainly win. Too bad there isn't any prize.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but there is I got to post that post
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Heh... powerbook / imac?

hrm... I want to dig through the old threads to say I TOLD YOU GUYS SO!!! I said on these threads... that hte powerbook would be the first intel mac... I was close (imac is)... but they were announced the same day. My reasoning triumphed. Reasoning was they are used more by devs than any other machine... they need the software out now! ok I'm done =)

Actually, wrong...the Powerbook has not been updated. However, a new laptop has been introduced by the name of MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The Powerbook is DOOMED. DOOMED I tell you.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ...And so is Think Secret it would seem.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I have to admit that I was off in my expectations. I could not believe that the iMac would get another update so soon. In eight months it got THREE updates. If I am not mistaken, this happens for the first time in Apple (in the Jobs era at least).

As for the Powerbook, the change was not so dramatic. The new MacBook Pro is just an addition to the existing G4 line, which now seems WAY overpriced. Or DOOMED as Anders says.