computer completely messed up!!!!!! pleeeease help!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Your stuff is still there. Archive and Install does not touch it. All Archive and Install does is pack up the existing /System folder in a disk image and name it "Previous System 1".

You'll find your stuff. Just be careful logged in as root not to delete anything important.
  • Reply 62 of 140
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by erica

does this mean i will not get my old stuff back?

It's ok. Don't panic. You will be able to get your old stuff back.

Quote:

[Do you see on the top level directory a folder entitled with

"previous system" and/or "deleted (or previous) user"?]

where would i see that?? in system preferences under accounts?

No, in the top level of your hard drive. i.e., double click on the hard drive icon on the desktop, or, if you have the computer set up not to show the hard drive on the desktop, open a new finder window and choose "Macintosh HD" or whatever your hard drive is called. In there will be folders such as applications, library, system etc. Hopefully one of the folders is named as Vox suggested.

Quote:

when i go home tonight i will create the new account and delete files i do not use (garage band, stickies, sherlock...etc)

woah! No need to go over the top. Trust me, deleting just garage band will be enough for the time being. (It's over 2 gigs)

Quote:

thank you all!!!!!!!!!! i am pretty nervous but all fo your help is very nice and makes me feel much better!

i'll be checking in all day! thank you! oh, and by the way, i already owe you all big time! i wish i knew computer stuff! then i could help you all as much as you have been helping me! uh, i can teach you all how to knit, make soap, bath salts, and lib gloss. no? not a good barter? ha - i'll keep thinking about it!!

That's OK, no worries. I reckon teaching someone via message board to knit would be damn-near impossible.
  • Reply 63 of 140
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

woah! No need to go over the top. Trust me, deleting just garage band will be enough for the time being. (It's over 2 gigs)

remember, you just need to do these things, in this order, whilst logged in as root:

1. delete garage band (including its support files in /library/application support/)

2. create new admin user in system preferences.

3. log out.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    Can you get iChat to work? Maybe if all of us could ask in real-time what is where on your computer, we'd have a better idea.
  • Reply 65 of 140
    haha, i am seriously laughing here! i really, for some reason, was panicked! i am nuts!

and then you guys actually had to calm me down over the internet - and the funny thing... it worked, i am much more relaxed about it now! ha, i don't know why it's so funny to me - but it is!

annnnyway... i take it from the "whoa, no need to go over the top" comment (thank you mr h. for pointing out how nuts i became for a minute )that i should only move garageband to the trash. i will do that when i get home from work... i will complete all of the steps listed from the root account then i will log onto my new account and see if ichat works.

whew, this is all very exciting again. the columbo feeling is making its way back!
  • Reply 66 of 140
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Your stuff is still there. Archive and Install does not touch it. All Archive and Install does is pack up the existing /System folder in a disk image and name it "Previous System 1".

You'll find your stuff. Just be careful logged in as root not to delete anything important.

I've never actually done an OS X archive and install (only an OS 8 one). Are you saying that the installer should not have touched the /users/ folder in any way?

Quote:

whew, this is all very exciting again. the columbo feeling is making its way back!

Good. Columbo feeling - yes, panic - no.

I thought of something important. When you create the new user, make sure it doesn't have the same name as any of the accounts that you used to have. Also, before creating the new user, make sure that the "users" folder is present at the root of the hard drive (how important that is depends on what lundy or anyone else can say about archive & install). Am I right in thinking that the only internet access you have at home is the unwell mac? That could be a problem.
  • Reply 67 of 140
    Quote:

I've never actually done an OS X archive and install (only an OS 8 one). Are you saying that the installer should not have touched the /users/ folder in any way?

Though i am not lundy, i guess it is safe to

answer with a big yes.
  • Reply 68 of 140
    Quote:

Can you get iChat to work? Maybe if all of us could ask in real-time what is where on your computer, we'd have a better idea.

Just in case: voxbarbara2
  • Reply 69 of 140
    right, i only have internet access on the mac we are trying to fix.

{Also, before creating the new user, make sure that the "users" folder is present at the root of the hard drive } ---is that where i go i through the hard drive icon on my desk top, open it and search for the "users" folder?

when get home should i still do this before i do the other things? :

{Type in "fsck -f", hit enter, wait some time. Repeat this activity until

you read the line: "This computer appears to be OK". Than type in

"reboot", hit enter. Computer will reboot.}

yippeee, hope is renewed!
  • Reply 70 of 140
    Quote:

Yep. Just did one a couple weeks ago.
  • Reply 71 of 140
    Quote:

{Also, before creating the new user, make sure that the "users" folder is present at the root of the hard drive } ---is that where i go i through the hard drive icon on my desk top, open it and search for the "users" folder?

when get home should i still do this before i do the other things?

Yes and yes. If you don't see the users folder, trying using finder's find command (when you're in the Finder press "command" and "f" together). Make the window that appears look like this (assuming your short user name was erica):

and press find. This should reveal your old user home folder and inside should be all your lovely files.
  • Reply 72 of 140
    oooh, goodie! this is all so exciting! if i wouldn't get fired for jumping up in my cubicle and yelling about how i am cuolumbo-ish and i have wonderful columbo internet helpers than i certainly would do it! thanks! i am going to print all of this out before i leave for the day and work on it tonight.

Quote:

Yes and yes. If you don't see the users folder, trying using finder's find command (when you're in the Finder press "command" and "f" together). Make the window that appears look like this (assuming your short user name was erica):

and press find. This should reveal your old user home folder and inside should be all your lovely files.

• Reply 73 of 140
    ericaerica Posts: 60member
    GENIUS! i am in my own computer as the new user that i just created! this is amazing! when i was logged in as root i went into the hard drive and found everything that i had on my computer before!!!!!! you have made me the happiest girl in philadelphia! this is awesome! now i guess i need to get my old account to show up somehow right? this is amazing! forget columbo! this is sherlock holmes caliber now!
  • Reply 74 of 140
    What do you see now in the "Accounts" pane of System Preferences?
  • Reply 75 of 140
    hi,

i see:

My Account

olivepig

Admin

Other Accounts

that's all. there are not any more accounts listed.

Quote:

What do you see now in the "Accounts" pane of System Preferences?

• Reply 76 of 140
    Quote:

hi,

i see:

My Account

olivepig

Admin

Other Accounts

that's all. there are not any more accounts listed.

OK, now how about the /Users directory? What folders are there in there? Just the one for the Admin account, an icon of a house? If so, what is in the folders of that folder?
  • Reply 77 of 140
    Users

apache_pb.gif

web_share.gif

macosxlogo.gif

Drop Box

olivepig

Audio

iMovie

Fonts

Assistants

FontCollections

Documentation

Sounds

Safari

Printers

Preferences

Keychains

Keyboard Layouts

Internet Plug-Ins

ColorPickers

Caches

Application Support

Favorites

index.html

images

Sites

Public

Pictures

Music

Movies

Documents

Library

Desktop

that is what i see in that folder with the house on it. i do see the folders of my old accounts - but they are not under "users"

Quote:

OK, now how about the /Users directory? What folders are there in there? Just the one for the Admin account, an icon of a house? If so, what is in the folders of that folder?

• Reply 78 of 140
    Well I hope they aren't in that order. You should see, in that house folder,

Desktop

Documents

Library

Movies

Music

Pictures

Public

Sites

That's the standard new-user template.
  • Reply 79 of 140
    oh, right - they are in the order you have them...for some reason when i copied and pasted, it placed things in a different order. oops, sorry about that.

Quote:

Well I hope they aren't in that order. You should see, in that house folder,

Desktop

Documents

Library

Movies

Music

Pictures

Public

Sites

That's the standard new-user template.

• Reply 80 of 140
    Quote:

oh, right - they are in the order you have them...for some reason when i copied and pasted, it placed things in a different order. oops, sorry about that.

Excellent.

Are all of your documents, music, etc in the folders in that new Admin account?

Now if your documents/photos/music/etc isn't in those folders, I think rather than screw around trying to reassign the user name to the correct folders, what I would do is:

Open two Finder windows side by side, one with the new Admin home folder and the other one with the home folder of (one of) the account(s) that has your data.

Starting with Desktop, open both Desktop folders of the accounts.

Drag all the contents of the non-Admin account's Desktop folder into the Admin Desktop folder. Don't drag the folders themselves; only their contents.

Repeat for the other folders.

You should be back to normal.