latest Chimera browser build

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
quote from site:

"What's New In 0.2.0

The latest build of Chimera demonstrates a highly experimental implementation of Quartz rendering. The current build locks you into Quartz, but the Quickdraw renderer will still be available via a pref in a later point release. For now you're locked into Quartz with the current build. Also, printing with Quartz turned on is pretty busted, so don't even bother.

Chimera 0.2.0 has much improved scrolling over previous versions. Most importantly it now uses native Aqua scrollbars rather than emulating the look via the Appearance Manager. Scrolling is also much faster, using both the wheel and the keyboard.

The tab browser feature has had some crash fixes and speed enhancements. You can now also cycle through tabs via the keyboard and close tabs. In addition the tab strip will auto-hide when only one tab is being used.

Support for Command and Shift clicking of links has been added. You can use Command+Click to open a link in a new window. If you use the Shift modifier, the window will load in the background. You can also make Command/Shift open tabs instead by setting the same pref that is used by Mozilla. The load links in background pref that Mozilla uses is also supported by Chimera. (These prefs aren't exposed in Chimera's UI yet, so you'll have to enter your secret .mozilla dir and edit your prefs.js by hand.)

Chimera 0.2.0 has a new splash screen, application icon, and new toolbar and sidebar icons.

Finally and most importantly Chimera has had many crash fixes and stability fixes.

Enjoy!

Dave

"

go here for .2 build of Chimera

<a href="http://chimera.mozdev.org/installation.html"; target="_blank">web page</a>

g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    It's good to see (and use) this significant update to Chimera. I was kind of hoping that they would continue calling the application Chimera and have a Chimera as its logo. But "Navigator" and the globe with the four wind-rose arrows looks quite purdy in the dock.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of features (esp. blocking of pop-up/under ads), I'm still using IE as my main bowser.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    What I don't understand is why is Chimera so far behind Mozilla?

What I have always been waiting for is Mozilla without Mail. That to me is Chimera. Why can't the mail portion of Mozilla be stripped out to give us a fantastic browser. I do not want another mail app. I want a great browser.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by kcmac:

<strong>What I don't understand is why is Chimera so far behind Mozilla? </strong><hr></blockquote>

At a guess, because they only just started the project.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Chimera/Navigator has:

speed

ATSUI text rendering

speed

Cocoa implementation

speed

a beautiful, simple interface

speed

.. and you say it's behind Mozilla? Anyway, this is version 0.2. It's still 'pre-alpha'. Mozilla is about to hit 1.0.

Just imagine Navigator 1.0.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I think that chimera is going to be kick ass when it's done, or even half-done. Right now, though, it's RAW. Some times, randomly and without molestation, it'll decide that it wants 80% of the cpu. And it won't go down until I kill it. Not good. Really bad for burning cds in the background (older burner, no burnproof tech). Caused me to make my first 2 coasters in months yesterday... But it will be great soon.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I was playing with it a bit today. Seems very promising, even more so than Mozilla. I enjoy Mozilla for it's speed, but I prefer OmniWeb because of it's interface and amazing text rendering. Chimera appears like it will combine those things. I opened macminute (a page with lots of text) in OW, Chimera, and IE, and OW & Chimera blew IE out of the water. I then checked Chimera's preferences to discover that there really weren't any. So, it's not going to replace OW anytime soon, but it might in the future.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I guess this is really what I was trying to say.

I like Chimera because it is a browser. Period. What drives me crazy about mozilla is that it also is an email app. To me, chimera is the slimmed down version of Mozilla that I have been looking for.

I wish Mozilla could strip out the other stuff and just be a browser. Or at least have a version for this. It bothers me that chimera has so much farther to go to catch up to Mozilla. This is not a criticism of the effort that is being put into it, just an overall frustration I have with the state of browsers for OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by kcmac:

<strong>I wish Mozilla could strip out the other stuff and just be a browser.</strong><hr></blockquote>

From what I recall, Netscape used to distribute two versions of its browser, one complete suite with browser and e-mail (Netscape Communicator) and a browser-only version (Netscape Navigator). That was until Netscape was acquired by AOL, with its aspirations of world domination that required an integrated piece of crap to take over your entire computer.

What I like about Chimera, is that it ties into the tradition of the early Netscape Navigator browser. I assume the name-change reflects that history and intention.

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I agree with kcmac. I like Chimera because it *doesn't* have any preferences. It renders HTML; end of story.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    Anybody got a screen shot for those of us who are not brave enough to try out an early pre-release. I just want to see Mozilla with all of it's cocoa-y goodness. Mmm...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Duals:

<strong>I just want to see Mozilla with all of it's cocoa-y goodness. Mmm...</strong><hr></blockquote>Here are three for ya'

<a href="http://brad.project-think.com/images/ChimeraSnap002.png"; target="_blank">Chimera 0.2.0 *before* ATSUI was patched in.</a>

<a href="http://brad.project-think.com/images/ChimeraSnap003.png"; target="_blank">Navigator 0.2.0 with drawer extended.</a>

<a href="http://brad.project-think.com/images/ChimeraSnap004.png"; target="_blank">Navigator 0.2.0 with drawer closed.</a>

*note* Aqua's stripes are gone in the latter two because a theme removed theme.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 13
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    starfleetX thanks for the pics. Looks great. I can't wait for it to get further into it's development cycle. Then I'll give it a whirl.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    chimera seems to be making the bigtime with its 0.2.1 build...apple is touting it..

<a href="http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/chimera.html"; target="_blank">web page</a>

[ 04-15-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>