Apple's website crashes my PC browsers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a newer 2.8ghz PC with WinXP Pro I use at work. I normally surf all day long with many tabs, etc, open in FireFox. But ever since Apple updated their site the other day my browsers - FireFox or IE crash when trying to view most any of the new (posted-after-keynote-speach) pages on www.apple.com.

What's up with this? Apple's site has always seemed very friendly and cross-platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macvault

I have a newer 2.8ghz PC with WinXP Pro I use at work. I normally surf all day long with many tabs, etc, open in FireFox. But ever since Apple updated their site the other day my browsers - FireFox or IE crash when trying to view most any of the new (posted-after-keynote-speach) pages on www.apple.com.

What's up with this? Apple's site has always seemed very friendly and cross-platform.

Looks like maybe I just needed to update to the latest version of Quicktime. Seems to be working much better now.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    We've had a number of problems with QT 7 under Windows XP and H264 content. Even Apple's site would cause the browser to crash with embedded QT files, like iPod usage example movies.

This has been a thorn in my side for a while. We haven't updated with the QT that came out on Tuesday though so perhaps that fixes it. I'll report in after I update the stupid PC.

Man I'm glad I use a Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I updated our office's XP machine with the latest QuickTime, 7.0.4, and the H264 crashing problems seem to be fixed. FireFox and IE no longer crash for me with Apple or self-generated H264 clips.

It was about time they fixed this!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Man I'm glad I use a Mac.

Yes, because Apple's bad coding in QT 7.0.4 makes PCs somehow "suck".