Patent: invisible iSight merged along LCD pixels

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple (more exactly Michael Uly, an Apple empoyee working on iMovie) filed the patent n°20060007222 called "Integrated sensing display", filled 21st June 2004, accepted and published 12th January 2006.

Abstract: "An integrated sensing display is disclosed. The sensing display includes display elements integrated with image sensing elements. As a result, the integrated sensing device can not only output images (e.g., as a display) but also input images (e.g., as a camera)."

If you read the patent and see drawings, you will see it describes a way to invisibly merge optical sensors along pixels. A "macro CCD" is spilled on the screen on a larger surface than a traditionnal webcam. You have one display LCD pixel, then one input CCD pixel, then a LCD, a CCD, etc.

This "camdisplay" would act primarly as a fixed-focus, fixed-zoom camera with a fixed focal length lens. But a way to obtain "variable focal length in order to zoom and focus the image" is studied. Either by a physcial movement of "lens" or with a material changing its refractive index in response to electrical stimulus or a magnetic field.

It is just a patent now, but imagine all possible applications for natural videoconferencing: an Apple mobile phone or an invisible iSight in the display. Both correspondents finally look naturally in each orthers eyes!

And Mac OS X could eventually track your eyes movement at a glance for a precise interface control or to precede your most insane geek desires.

Make me rethink about Rolo's Apple HDTV too...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Apple (more exactly Michael Uly, an Apple empoyee working on iMovie) filed the patent n°20060007222 called "Integrated sensing display"

Abstract: "An integrated sensing display is disclosed. The sensing display includes display elements integrated with image sensing elements. As a result, the integrated sensing device can not only output images (e.g., as a display) but also input images (e.g., as a camera)."

If you read the patent and see drawings, you will see it describes a way to invisibly merge optical sensors along pixels. A "macro CCD" is spilled on the screen on a larger surface than a traditionnal webcam. You have one display LCD pixel, then one input CCD pixel, then a LCD, a CCD, etc.

This "camdisplay" would act primarly as a fixed-focus, fixed-zoom camera with a fixed focal length lens. But a way to obtain "variable focal length in order to zoom and focus the image" is studied. Either by a physcial movement of "lens" or with a material changing its refractive index in response to electrical stimulus or a magnetic field.

It is just a patent now, but imagine all possible applications for natural videoconferencing: an Apple mobile phone or an invisible iSight in the display. Both correspondents finally look naturally in each orthers eyes!

And Mac OS X could eventually track your eyes movement at a glance for a precise interface control or to precede your most insane geek desires.

Make me rethink about Rolo's Apple HDTV too...

I can't wait for this technology to show up. Been hoping for something like this for a few years now.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    With all the concerns about iSight being included in PB (pre keynote discussion) and actually in the MacBook, this is going to make impossible to know if there is a camera in the screen, so laptops may be banned altogether from sensitive workplaces.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

With all the concerns about iSight being included in PB (pre keynote discussion) and actually in the MacBook, this is going to make impossible to know if there is a camera in the screen, so laptops may be banned altogether from sensitive workplaces.

On top of that, Just try and find a current generation cell phone that doesn't have a camera... it's next to impossible. I for one see ZERO benefit in them and yet every frickin cell phone in creation seems to feel the need to include them.

My question is how do 'sensitive workplaces' deal with todays cell phones?

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Personally, I enjoy and appreciate having a camera in my phone and would like one in my laptop, but I never go to ridiculously (in)secure companies that know that if someone really wanted to take phhotos they could, using a camera built into a pen, etc.

The camera in the screen would create a lot of security and privacy issues that could be insurmountable and ultimately crush technology, as you could no longer trust anybody completely. A store display window could actually take photos of customers who stop to take a peek, for example. Though the same store has security cameras, I wonder if the built in cam would be perceived as different.

Then again, the same store could use the pen camera (or moron) in part of the framing for the display and acheive the same thing, so the point is moot.

There was a case here in Japan recently whereby a group placed advertisement displays on ATM machines; the boxes had cameras in their bases that were used to watch for passwords being entered. Several thousand passwords were jeopardized, but no money was ever obtained before the police busted it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

My question is how do 'sensitive workplaces' deal with todays cell phones?

The same way they deal with regular cellphones - they are not allowed, and neither are laptops in some places, nor USB flash drives, nor anything else that could allow someone to transfer data.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    What were those TVs in "1984" called?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I've got a camera implanted in my retina. BEWARE!!!! :o
  • Reply 8 of 11
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I doubt you could find a more sensitive workplace than the Apple labs. How are they going to cope with all these cameras?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

What were those TVs in "1984" called?

telescreen
  • Reply 10 of 11
    i think it'd make a cool mirror in the bathroom- a few core-image effects before it outputted back the 'reflection'- it's so horrible getting unfiltered reality early in the morning. \

another application could be the ipredator suit- the cameras on the back make the image on the front.

anyway- i doubt they've got it working (but you never know with steve)- my ramblings on the patent
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Maybe iMovie will be able to capture video directly from the screen.