iWork '06

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I bought my dad iWork '05 for Christmas. He seems to like it. Now that iWork '06 is out, he is considering buying it. Is it really worth it for him to do so? As far as I know all that is new are new templates.

Also, is there a cheaper upgrade cost?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I bought my dad iWork '05 for Christmas. He seems to like it. Now that iWork '06 is out, he is considering buying it. Is it really worth it for him to do so? As far as I know all that is new are new templates.

A cheaper upgrade doesn't exist unfortunately. IMO, it's not worth the upgrade. But the upgrade does bring some interesting new features: http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/01...look/index.php

Nothing revolutionary though. I'd skip this one and I'd wait for iWork '07.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    OK thanks for your help.

Just one more question: I bought the academic single user version of iWork '05 for my dad. He installed it on his computer. Can I also use it on my computer using the same serial? What are the limitations?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

OK thanks for your help.

Just one more question: I bought the academic single user version of iWork '05 for my dad. He installed it on his computer. Can I also use it on my computer using the same serial? What are the limitations?

I don't think there are any physical limitations, but as far as legal limitations, it is a "single user license". For most of Apple's products this means you can install and use it on 1 desktop and 1 laptop. What you do is up to you in terms of legality, but as far as the physical limitations, there probably are none.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I don't think there are any physical limitations, but as far as legal limitations, it is a "single user license". For most of Apple's products this means you can install and use it on 1 desktop and 1 laptop. What you do is up to you in terms of legality, but as far as the physical limitations, there probably are none.

The way I have inturprated those licences is one In use at a time...

Example: If I have an iMac upstairs, powermac downstairs and each of my 3 kids has an iBook, i can install it on all of them as long as only one unit uses any of the included apps at once...but if this is your situation, get a fam pac, it is retardedly cheap.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    It depends on what all he likes to do with it.

One new feature is the Merge function, wherein the address book is connected to Pages, or at least some templates in Pages. So if you wish to do a mail merge for some document, to send it to all of whomever you wish to, it is easy.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

The way I have inturprated those licences is one In use at a time...

Example: If I have an iMac upstairs, powermac downstairs and each of my 3 kids has an iBook, i can install it on all of them as long as only one unit uses any of the included apps at once...but if this is your situation, get a fam pac, it is retardedly cheap.

Hehe that sounded like a bit of wishfull thinking so I looked it up. I'm sure Apple is not going to break down your door, but according to the iWork EULA you can't do this. Of course a Family Pack would solve the OP's dilemma like you said.

Quote:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. iWork Single User License. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software (whether trial or full version) on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.

• Reply 7 of 22
    I'm a student and ordered iWork '06 the day it came out. There is not much of a difference between it and 05 much less than between Keynote 1 and 2. But I give between 6 and a dozen presentations a year and for $50 you can't beat it. I really just brought 06 to give Apple my support in hoping they continue to update Keynote for the years to come. On the other hand I've never used Pages for anything.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Thank you everyone for your responses.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Does Apple have the 'family'pricing plan for iWorks?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

Does Apple have the 'family'pricing plan for iWorks?

$99
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

If you go to http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/ you can get an update for him.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I CANT USE IWORK

I would love keynote for presentations, but I cannot present them in Windows...Apple needs a keynote presenter in 2 formfactors -- included with quicktime for windows and totaly usable from a USB key (ala portable Firefox)

And I have tried the quicktime export in the demo of 05 and it is just not the same...I want full screen with all effects on the projection screen, I want notes in presenter view on my monitor, I want it all, and I would pay for it if I could
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Got iWork yesterday and started playing with it tonight. It is worth the upgrade cost to me, though I have only looked at Keynote.

Most of the new functions in Keynote save time, which we all know, is money (this is iWork).

? The calculating tables, while simplistic, do the job they are meant to do.

? The masking is fantastic. You can import a photo and mask it with any shape to meet a particular page. It can be unmasked at any time if you change your layout or whatever. No more switching between apps just for a photo.

? There are now columns in text and this works with bullets as well. You can now have a longer list of things on one page.

? The 3D charts look great.

? The direct phot adjustments make this faster as well, and allow you to make sure the phote best fits your presentation.

? Lastly, the ability to use a stuicky note to make a comment is really nice for group work, except it seems to only originate from the center of the page.

All in all, if you make regular presentations, iWork is worth the upgrade.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    One other reason that iWork '06 is compelling upgrade (for me at least): Speed. In particular, the speed of Pages 2.0 -- it's usable finally. On my Mac mini (1GB RAM, 1.25GHz model) Pages 1.0 was a horribly unresponsive program. So slow it was that Pages 1.0 was essentially unusable. Its snazziness tantalized, but ultimately it was too painful to use. Now the program keeps up with typing. Hooray.

Haven't even touched Keynote 3.0 yet but of course, the last version was terrific so I can't expect to be disappointed.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by bacarr

One other reason that iWork '06 is compelling upgrade (for me at least): Speed. In particular, the speed of Pages 2.0 -- it's usable finally. On my Mac mini (1GB RAM, 1.25GHz model) Pages 1.0 was a horribly unresponsive program. So slow it was that Pages 1.0 was essentially unusable. Its snazziness tantalized, but ultimately it was too painful to use. Now the program keeps up with typing. Hooray.

Haven't even touched Keynote 3.0 yet but of course, the last version was terrific so I can't expect to be disappointed.

Welcome aboard!

Glad to have someone on the other side; I haven't touched Pages yet. Any other feedback about the functions, etc.? The main new thing is the tables with calculations...
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Interestingly enough, the rating at apple.com is only 3 stars, brought down by many complaining about a lack of an update.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I used the new iWork extensively this weekend and I have to say I really enjoyed using it. There are are few gripes here and there, but that was mainly do to unfamiliarity with the apps. I definitely give them both a thumbs up and think they are much improved compared to the previous version.

My only complaint about the 3D charts is that in Pages they don't seem to scale correctly if you increase your Viewing zoom level. I set my view to 150% and the charts are upscaled 72 dpi versions rather than re-rendering at the larger size. WTF?

Pages in general just takes a bit of getting used to, but once you're used to it it rocks! I think my resolution for 2006 will be to never launch MS Word again.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    While I would have liked to see Numbers and FileMaker Jr. added to iWork 06 I went ahead and added it to me iLife 06 order to see how it goes. As bad as my typing is the Auto Correct alone feature is worth the price!

I think the main issue with iWork in 2005 was the focus on iLife 06. That is such a major upgrade that programming resources were probably shifted from iWork to iLife. Hopefully this effort in iLife will add some neat features to iWork 07.

I can't see Numbers being that big a deal for Apple, but I believe there will be issues with the database side. For me it is logical to use a stripped down version of FileMaker, especially since that would allow for a simple migration to the full FileMaker version for some users. On the Numbers side I'm going to play with the tables in Pages over the weekend to see how close it is to a full spreadsheet. For an average user it might be very close.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    When i first saw the calculations i thought they were a bit limited but then realised you can make compound equations with functions inside funtions!! or use fixed values.

One great calculation feature in the tables is if you open the calculation editor all the fields are colour matched to the equation so can see at a glance what the equation is effecting. This has always been a bugbear of using excel as sometime calculations can get a bit lost.

Apart from the fact most of the world uses Word, Pages has most of the features I need. Actually the only word feature I'd like to see is split screens so can see the first part of a document while looking at the end. I can live without that.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aussie John

Actually the only word feature I'd like to see is split screens so can see the first part of a document while looking at the end. I can live without that.

Just curious. I like to sometimes see two pages at once which you can do with Pages. What do you gain from seeing the beginning and the end at the same time?