Convert AIFF audio file to MP3 in iTunes 6

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited June 2014
I have looked everywhere to see how to convert an AIFF audio file to MP3. I use Garage Band to make a song, but after I send it to iTunes it is an AIFF file. Can anyone help me turn that file into an MP3.

Most instructions say to convert it under the "Advanced" menu, but there is not covert to MP3 button only convert to AIFF. Which it already is.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Go to the Advanced tab on the Preferences dialog for iTunes. Change your encoder to MP3 and choose the bit rate that you want. Close the dialog.

Now, find your song and right-click on it. You will see a menu item that says "Convert Selection to MP3".
  • Reply 2 of 7
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    That still didn't work. I changed the encoder, but it still shows "convert to AIFF". You mentioned that when I change the encoder to MP3 that a dialog box for the bit rate would appear and it didn't. Could there be something wrong with my iTunes?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Works fine for me. I used the menu Advanced->Convert Selection to ___. It changes based on my encoder setting. Perhaps try setting a different encoder again.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks ~ I was going to the burning tab instead of the importing tab. My mistake. I appreciate all your help.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwsanders View Post

Go to the Advanced tab on the Preferences dialog for iTunes. Change your encoder to MP3 and choose the bit rate that you want. Close the dialog.

Now, find your song and right-click on it. You will see a menu item that says "Convert Selection to MP3". you can convert AIFF to MP3.

Yep, iTunes get well for that. It can work in that case. Or get other way. But if there are other formats needed, it seems not the good way to do it. but some apps would work good.

• Reply 6 of 7

iTunes may be help you convert AIFF to MP3.

If it doesn't, turn to this article about how to convert AIFF to MP3, WAV, FLAC, M4R, M4A etc.

• Reply 7 of 7
    wailterwailter Posts: 1member

In iTunes, hold down the 'option' key while clicking the 'Advanced' menu. The "Convert to MP3.." (Or AAC, depending on what your Import settings are) should be selectable now. Select that and you get the traditional window you use to select which files you'd like to convert.

Warning: The files will import with only the file name as seen in the finder. There will be no artist, album, etc. metadata transferred in the conversion.

iTunes can batch convert AIFF to AAC, but batch converting AIFF to MP3. In this case, i highly recommend Faasoft Audio Converter.