Will iDVD 6 allow 3rd party Dual Layer burning?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
G'day from Oz

Quote from .... http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/

"Go for the burn.

Once you finish your DVD masterpiece, only one step remains. Burning it. Thanks to stellar compatibility, iDVD 6 makes the big burn a painless process.

With support for a wide variety of DVD media formats ? including DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD+R DL ? iDVD 6 teams up with a compatible SuperDrive or third-party DVD burner to offer you more media options than ever. You heard right: iDVD lets you burn using compatible third-party DVD burners.

iDVD even lets you archive projects as disc images. Saved this way, your projects are extremely portable and take up less space, and are read-only. What?s more, they?re already encoded, so you can quickly burn them to DVD whenever you have a free moment or a burner handy".

end Quote.

**** Note the 'DVD+R DL'. ****

Does this mean that dual layer 3rd party burners will be supported, burning a dual layer disc?

I've updated to 10.4.4, but my 3rd party Sony DVD RW DW-D26A burner still shows as 'Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported)' in System Profiler, the 'Unsupported' referring to dual layer support.

Will iDVD 6 bypass this lack?

Let's see who's first to try the new iDVD 6 out with a 3rd party burner & dual layer disk. I anxiously await the result.

Regards

Santa

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Is there a list of compatilbe burners? Apple says squat.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    You can always burn a dual-layer disk image (DMG/ISO) and burn that, if you can't do it directly from iDVD.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Jobs during the keynote said "we now support third party DVD burners" and had that line on one of his slides.