Please help my friend!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a friend from another forum ask me for iPod video help. Problem is, I don't have one, so I didn't know how to help.

She's been trying to export .mov and mpeg files to her iPod video. She converts them to mpeg4 and they export just fine, but when she plays them on her iPod, there is no sound output.

If anyone can help her, she and I will be very grateful!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Ask her what format and bitrate the sound is encoded in (all details from the encoder would help)
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I passed that request to her. She'll reply very soon.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    >>>>>>> iPod and iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    BAH! I originally was going to post this here, but I felt it was more like tech support.

Anders: She said: "How I would check that?

Just click on the file and do command "I"?"
  • Reply 5 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    She would know from the converter she uses.

In the specs of the iPod it is listed how the sound of the video should be encoded to work. Ask her to make a sample file that meets the conditions described. If it will play the sound on the iPod it is a pretty sure thing that the audio format was wrong in the first file.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Thanks for that link! She saw your last message and said she "feels more like a newbie than a Mac geek" at this point. Thanks for your patience and understanding, Anders.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    This app is awesome.. just drag and drop just about any file (XXid, DiVX, MOV, .AVI. MPEG, etc and it'll convert it to iPod Video compatible file

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28250

iSquint

and its free

Oh, and while you're at it, advise Handbrake for super easy DVD to iPod conversion...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    She replies: "Well ok here is the thing-it's not just when I try to put it onto my iPod, it's just when I convert it into another format ON my desktop. Something gets wiped.

I'll check that site out too, I'm so confused! I just want my iPod to have videos!!"

Thanks for your input as well, ZO!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Hi,

If she's uses QuickTime, or anything that leverages QuickTime (and only quicktime) to do it's stuff, then any MPEG files she converts to iPod format will not have sound, because QuickTime cannot export audio from MPEG files. I have no idea why.

She could try MPEGstreamclip.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    It looks as if ZO turned out to be her hero! Your link solved her problems. She thanks all you nice gentlemen very much!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    great... now I can officially put "hero" on my CV and give references...

• Reply 12 of 12
    You guys will get the opportunity to meet her; she's decided to join AI. She'd like to get Mac help from you guys. That, and she's a nutty Apple groupie like me.