3rd party software compatibility - Rosetta

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I desperatly need a list of 3rd party software that is compatibal with the intel Macs, or at least some advice in how I would go about finding this sort information out.

Jellis

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Almost everything is compatible; a list of what is not compatible would be more interesting. The only way to find out is to ask the software developers or keep checking MacInTouch.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Yeah I just realised that you need to contact the actual soft ware developers. I guess I will have to wait abit until apple realese an official list. In the meen time the I will keep an eye out for anything released on MacInTouch.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Basically, all ppc OSX software should run on Rosetta, as OSX for intel has the same APIs (things needed for programming) as OSX for PPC.

The things that will not run under rosetta are things that require low-level hooks into the OS, eg: a graphics driver for PPC will not run on an Intel box under rosetta.

So basically all hardware drivers are out (educated guess).

All high level apps (word processors, browsers, server software, etc) will run, albeit with some degree of performance hit. However, the performance hit will likely not be very severe on a dual core, 2Ghz chip that is approximately as fast as a G5.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rashrash Posts: 14member
    I guess that programs that use technologies (e.g. third-party C libraries for audio and video streaming) other than Apple's will have problems running under Rosetta.

Is that assumption correct?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RASH

I guess that programs that use technologies (e.g. third-party C libraries for audio and video streaming) other than Apple's will have problems running under Rosetta.

Is that assumption correct?

Why should it be? Rosetta emulates PPC code. Those third-party libraries are compiled PPC code. Rosetta should handle them without problems.