Intel in a 12" or 17", do it yourself?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'd like to pose a hypothetical question to all...

would it be possible, even hypothetically to put the processor from an intel MacBook Pro into an older powerbook? Like the al G4?

The enclosure, i'd expect, is very similar. Could someone do it?

Would it make any sense to?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    absolutely not possible. sorry.

different socket, different chipsets, different firmware/efi, different signaling voltages, different bus, different ram, different everything. would be nice though...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    really...?

that's very surprising, considering how similar the cases look.

All new suppliers, or are the suppliers the same?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I'd like to pose a hypothetical question to all...

would it be possible, even hypothetically to put the processor from an intel MacBook Pro into an older powerbook? Like the al G4?

The enclosure, i'd expect, is very similar. Could someone do it?

Would it make any sense to?

You'd have to swap the entire motherboard. You're talking about a different chip socket, drive controllers, bus issues, proprietary USB/FW chips that all are probably different.

And the cost of a separate MacBook motherboard, even if it could be found, probably exceeds the cost of a new MacBook Pro right now.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    So it's not just the processors that are different?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

So it's not just the processors that are different?

Like mpls said, everything is different. There is a different protocol for communication between the chip and its sister chips - nothing is the same as on the PPC.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    OK.

Now, is it possible to buy the Intel Core Duo motherboard and build your own mac? Would that even make sense?

I would guess that if you had the same motherboard as the new iMac, you could run OS X on it hack free. So is this at all feasible?