Help! Why won't my iMac sleep?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

here I am again, the new convert to macs, with another question. as the subject says, why won't my iMac go to sleep?

new iMac, 3 weeks old, and when i choose sleep the machine powers down, but after about 3 seconds of dark screen it comes back to life.

I'm running OSX 10.1.3. Can it have anything to do with Classic, as the last thing i was doing prior to this problem was experimenting with setting classic to run on startup, and setting never for classic sleep mode? of course I've put all that back, and I still can't get it to sleep.

I also appear to have a problem when booting into 9.2, as it tells me to do so without extensions, so that is either linked or another problem for another day.

I hope someone out there tells me I'm missing something obvious!

Cheers

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    David,

I have the same setup and the same problem. Eventually I gave up trying to fix it and resorted to turning off the LCD and spinning down the hard drive (these options are in preferences too). I've read that this problem may have something to do with the periperals, especially the speakers, but I could never demonstrate that. Hopefully OS 10.2 will solve this problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Have you tried simply shutting down classic before trying to put it to sleep?

Also, will it go to sleep when you're logged out? Try this: log out, then press conrtol-eject on the keyboard. It should bring up a dialog from which you can click Sleep. If it sleeps okay there, then there's definitely a program you're running when logged in that is keeping it from sleeping.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Soory fo the two threads, but....

OK,now it's apparently random. With classic stopped, from the apple menu sleep the machine will either sleep and not wake up (switch off and on is only option), or sleep perfectly and wake up. I can't tell what i do differently.

from control / eject sleep it seems to work better, but i can't tell if it is luck or a differentlt process.

i haven't installed ANY software that didn't come with the iMac bar drivers for my printer and scanner.

Bizarre behavior or what?!?!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    the darn imac wakes from sleep if you so much as breathe too hard near it. and if i forget to turn off my printer, the imac will wake up if touch the printer or try to turn it off. that never happened with my other peripherals when using my powerbook. i could plug/unplug anything i wanted while it was asleep without waking it.