USA vs. Europe

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Something that has always baffled me as a consumer of US entertainment products:

Can anyone explain to me why oh why I always see top load washing machines in US movies while I have never seen the same here in Europe (it might be different in countries I haven´t been to). And what is most effective?

I have my own sinister theory regarding this but I´ll withhold it until later

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lolololo Posts: 87member
    I think (European-style) front loading washing machines are more efficient. However, top loading machines are easier to load, which makes them perfect for the lazy American consumer.

What's your theory?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    well, we should acknowledge that some people in the US use front-loaders, maybe 10% or something.

i've been living in Europe (albeit the Balkans) for the past almost 2 years, before that I spent my life state-side, so that's where my perspective comes from.

anyhow, my theories:

1) people in Europe live in more compacted living spaces, and resultingly often keep their washing machines in their kitchen. A front-loading washer can double as very usable and practical counter-space.

2) americans have more clothes, and wash them more often between wearings, thus do more laundry. top-loading machines are almost always faster, completing a load in around 30 minutes.

3) not sure about this one...i feel like my European front loader spins clothes more dry than top-loaders i used in the states. Americans always use drying machines, so it doesn't matter if our clothes are still pretty wet when they come out of the machine. Where I live, at least, nobody has clothes-drying machines, so it is useful for the clothes to come out of the washer a little more dry.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    According wo the all-knowing Wikipedia , the main difference is:

- front-loading machines use less energy, clean better with less water.

- top-loading machines are faster, and are easier to fill

Seems like the typical stereotypes: efficiency vs comfort.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I think the big thing is that top loaders are cheaper, at least around here. I also like them more because they can double as a soaking tub, but I'd still rather have a front loader and a soaking tub than a top loader and a beat-up dryer, which is my current situation.

Yeah, they came with the apartment, which is OK, but in Florida there is absolutely not need for a dryer, and it takes up a lot of space in what would otherwise be my broom closet.

I think the dryer is going to have to go, but I'm going to need some sort of jack to get it out of there. I'll post pics when I get the chance. It's actually kind of funny.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    What OS does it run?

Looks like a piece of CLI/*nix hardware.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Yeah, they came with the apartment, which is OK, but in Florida there is absolutely not need for a dryer, and it takes up a lot of space in what would otherwise be my broom closet.

I'd think you'd need a dryer because there can be so much humidity in the air, things wouldn't dry otherwise.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

Something that has always baffled me as a consumer of US entertainment products:

European front loading ones offer more in-house entertainment by the way! Very relaxing just watching the clothes goes round and round. The cat enjoys it.

You can't do that with a top dryer.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

What OS does it run?

Or one of those deep sea submarines...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durin oakenskin

According wo the all-knowing Wikipedia , the main difference is:

- front-loading machines use less energy, clean better with less water.

- top-loading machines are faster, and are easier to fill

Seems like the typical stereotypes: efficiency vs comfort.

Front loaders are alway easier on the clothes. A top loader users an agitator to beat the shit out of the clothes, leading to fraying and wearing. A front loader simply cycles the cloths through a puddle of water and allowed that motion to clean the cloths. Much more gentle.

As you say, top loaders are easier to fill and empty. Manufacturers want to get people onto the front loaders because they could sell them at a premium. The government encourages their use with EnergyStar rebates etc since they use less electricty and less water. But, in North America, with the aging population, many are opting for the less efficient top loaders, but would like the benefits of a front loaders. I think Maytag is coming out with a nice model that brings the benefits of both. It is top loading, but instead of a vertical agitator, the 'walls' of the chamber are 3 large discs that rotate and spin the clothes through a puddle of water, much like a front loader does. The tub is slightly angled to allow the clothes to fall into the puddle. Imagine the premium they are charging for these puppies.

Why did top loaders never take off in Europe? I think mainly space concerns originally. Top loaders generally need to have as much capacity as possible and not be crammed full to make it worthwhile using them. Who has room for giant appliances? Front loaders, so long as they are full, their capacity is irrelavant..they are still efficient.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

What OS does it run?

I'm sure you could install Linux on it if you wanted to. If you're determined, you can install Linux on anything.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    the idea that top-loaders are cheaper than front-loaders i think is bogus. it is certainly true in the states, i know, but here in Macedonia, a low-end Gorenje front-loader goes for about $250. That's cheaper than most top-loaders stateside, i think.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    This question belongs to a whole category of everyday life mysteries, e.g.:

Why is the 'all-in-one' vacuum cleaner model with the dustbag attached to the cleaning pipe much more popular in the US than in Europe?

Why are the Japanese so obsessed with gadgets in comparison to europeans?

etc...

Lets have som answers
  • Reply 14 of 15
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    I agree with the space-arguments. Also, you can stack a drying machine on top of a front loader.

With a front loader, you can usually see what is happening. Not sure how much of a selling argument that is, but I remember Philips launching a refrigorator with a see-through window in it's native Holland because people wanted to make sure the light in the fridge was really off when the door was closed.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'd think you'd need a dryer because there can be so much humidity in the air, things wouldn't dry otherwise.

If you think about it, even 90% humidity isn't that wet. Relative humidity is a strange measurement, and I think is has more to do with condensing rather than air quality.

But nonetheless it is the Sunshine State, and when sitting on a rack under my south facing window, stuff dries pretty fast. If I had a wife and kids a dryer might be more helpful, but I don't, and the volume of clothes I wash isn't very large.