Thomas Edison

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm watching a biography on Thomas Edison on the History Channel. I am struck by the similarities between Edison and Apple/Steve Jobs. Edison basically created the foundations of the 20th century. Apple and Jobs are doing the same thing for the 21st. (Yes, I know that others now are doing great things as well, Burt Rutan comes to mind, but this is an Apple Board )

One day children will go to the Apple Museum at Cupertino to see some of the foundations of their world.

Excellent.

V/R,

Aries 1B

PS: Hopefully, there will be a wing of the Museum about the Apple Tablet and PDAs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Apple and Jobs are doing the same thing for the 21st.

Come again?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Come again?

Steve Jobs and all the people at Apple Computer are establishing the early versions of aspects of how people will live in the 21st Century.

For instance, the recent Apple patent concerning the LCD display screen that also contains an embeded field of 'camera pixels' is a foundation of how people will 'phone' (or perhaps 'vingle') each other.

Certainly by the dawn of the 22nd Century everyone will use the Apple OS and will laugh and laugh and laugh at their idiot ancestors who proudly tortured themselves, and, quite likely, shortened their life spans, with daily exposure to Windows OS.

V/R, From Deep In The Post MacWorld RDF Glow,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I like how you think, Aries1B! I agree; Steve and Apple always seemed to have the best vision of the future. It's like Time magazine said, Jobs is "the man who always seems to know what's next."
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    You have to give Edison his dues.....but the inventor who laid the basic foundations of modern life with the invention of long distance power transmission via alternating current, radio communications, the induction motor, fluorescent lighting (and some 700 other patents) was Tesla. The difference being, Edison was a brilliant self promoter, while Tesla was hopeless with money, and signed away all his royalties to save Westinghouse's ass. Oh well.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

You have to give Edison his dues.....but the inventor who laid the basic foundations of modern life with the invention of long distance power transmission via alternating current, radio communications, the induction motor, fluorescent lighting (and some 700 other patents) was Tesla. The difference being, Edison was a brilliant self promoter, while Tesla was hopeless with money, and signed away all his royalties to save Westinghouse's ass. Oh well.

And if you think of DC power as Apple Computer and AC power as Microsoft...

Edison "" g e n e r a t e d "" about 1500 patents. Apple has somewhat more than that right now.

The Edison biography also sub-profiled a man working to wire houses with DC power, utilizing solar cells for direct power and, by way of a switching box dingus (sorry for the technical term )pulling AC power from the grid and changing it to DC for use within the home.

Cool stuff!

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Woz was more like Edison than Steve... I would say Jobs is more similar to Henry Ford.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I have never seen such strong RDF

What Apple made that could be compared to Edison is the Apple II. I really don´t know enough about Commodore to know if they would have made the Vic 20 and C64 without the Apple II. If so they would have been the Apple II instead.

If anyone should be compared to Edison it should be Moore and Noyce. Or perhaps the people creating the transport protocols or key programming languages.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    The impact of the inventions of Edison extend far beyond any that Apple/Jobs have/are doing currently.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

The impact of the inventions of Edison extend far beyond any that Apple/Jobs have/are doing currently.

That' right . Edison was a giant. Jobs did not invented much himself. He know how to rule an high tech enterprise, has a vision, something very rare, is very charismatic, but is not a scientifical genius.

Sometimes people are far too enthousiastic when it comes to Apple
  • Reply 10 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Woz was more like Edison than Steve... I would say Jobs is more similar to Henry Ford.

OK this is the official comparison:

Jobs : Woz :: Edison : Tesla
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Jobs is more or less the quintessential salesman -- the Apple turnaround after 1997 should be taught in Economics classes.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Sometimes people are far too enthousiastic when it comes to Apple

?

?

?

Speechless... just... speechless.

V/R,

Aries 1B

( )
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

Jobs is more or less the quintessential salesman -- the Apple turnaround after 1997 should be taught in Economics classes.

As opposed to - how to run a successful company to begin with?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

As opposed to - how to run a successful company to begin with?

Ha! Let's not forget Next.

I was watching the 1997 Macworld Stevenote on google video, those guys were really behind the eight ball -- and now look at them. Steve's good, but I'm sure the Apple board collectively has to be at least as good as he is.

Makes you wonder how much of a plan they actually had, and how closely they executed it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    So Say We All.

V/R,

Aries 1B