MacBook Pro fans?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I ordered a MacBook Pro last week but I've been kind of worrying about something.

Does anyone know if the MacBook Pro will remain "silent" like the current Macs or did Steve had to give that up?

I hate (audible) fans on computers and it would be terrible if I had to hear whirring every time I used my laptop.

Has anyone heard anything about that in a review or something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    silent like current mac's... you've got to be kidding. Have you ever done iMovie on an iMac g5 17? or how about photoshop on a g4 powerbook 17? fan's are nuts!!!

now, that said ~ my iMac g5 20" is pretty silent.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    1.67 GHZ 17" Powerbook here. 2 BG RAM, 7200 HDD.

Photoshop runs like butter.

The fans on this thing are never audible.

Same thing when ripping DVDs, H.264 encoding and creating iMovie projects.

The latest Powerbook are fast and silent.

I abuse this thing and it runs like a champ without breaking a sweat.8)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    15" 1.5Ghz G4 PowerBook, Summer 2004. Silent. Every time I use it, I'm like "shit, I can hear myself think". It does have fans, and they do come on sometimes, but they're quiet and the pitch is not annoying at all. You can't even hear the fans most of the time, even when they are on, which is rarely.

That said, we don't know about the fans in the MacBook Pro. But I'm hoping/guessing they'll be quiet/silent.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Only Warcraft brings on the fans on my Powerbook, and I think that's GPU cooling.

If the MBP has similar power characteristics I'd hope it was the same.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    (Sorry, I meant under light operation. I understand heavy graphics/video work turns up the fans, but I meant light use, and not like some PC's, where it sounds like someone's using the vaccuum cleaner in a different room of the house.)

Alright, thanks for all the help.

I just went to the Apple Store yesterday and they (finally) had iMac Core Duos up - they were silent too. Since they're basically lower-end processors in a smaller package, I imagine the MBP's will be silent too.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I have the latest (last, it appears) 15 inch powerbook and mine has never made a sound. I don't play games by I use Photoshop, all the Studio applications, Filemaker Pro Advanced, and some server admin tools, I've never heard the fans.

Like I said though, this is the latest powerbook (not macbook pro).
  • Reply 7 of 9
    man, i want my macbook pro so badly right now. my ibook g4 summer05 version totally sucks for me. it's too slow and too often the fans start spinning and they are really loud...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    What shipping dates are people getting on the MacBook Pro, or is it still "some time in February"?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

What shipping dates are people getting on the MacBook Pro, or is it still "some time in February"?

I ordered it about three hours after it was officially announced.

They told me February 17, then after a couple days they pushed it forward to February 15.

That was awesome.