Apple Order Process

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm a new Apple customer, excited to make the transition and hoping to encourage others to do so. Is it typical for Apple to estimate 2-4 days before computer ships, plus 3 to 5 days in transit, and have it actually turn in to 8 days before computer ships, plus transit?

If so, that seems like a sad state. I understand demand, but they surely could be more accurate.

I called today and complained, and they basically didn't give a shit. How frustrating.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It happens. I've also seen it turn around from a week to ship to being sent out the next day.

The biggest bottleneck by far is customs. People's orders have been held up there for over two weeks, in some cases. *Usually* they just go through, but every so often...

Keep your fingers crossed.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Keep your fingers crossed.

They claim it will ship out today, 8 days after I placed the order. I asked if they would expedite shipping. No go.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    This also happens when they get a flood of orders.

It'll say 'shipping 1-3 days', but in the 10 minutes it takes you to place your order, a bazillion other people do the same thing, and now it's '3-5'. The next day, another flood comes in, and it's '5-7'. Every product announcement sees this pattern. As they get them shipped out, the estimated time drops again.

Ah, the joys of being an early adopter.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Ah, the joys of being an early adopter.

I'm being an immature, whiny kid on the verge of throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    From this morning's email:

Due to an unexpected delay, we were unable to ship your product(s) by the date originally quoted to you (Ordered Jan 11th, store indicated 3-5 days). We now anticipate shipping the following item(s) as follows:

Z0CY, IMAC 20/2.0/SD CTO

will now ship by Jan 24, 2006

and deliver by Jan 31, 2006

Ouch. That must be one hell of a backorder. When Steve said they're shipping now, someone should've asked "How many?"
  • Reply 6 of 18

Glad to hear you're taking the zen path on this one. It sucks though, because you get all worked up over your new computer, and then... you... have... to... wait...

Been there, done that. We're with ya, bro.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    It sucks, but hey, you'll get it eventually lol.... When i bought my powerbook in november, the ship time was 1 week, I got it in like 3 days. But I just got lucky I think.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by godrifle

We now anticipate shipping the following item(s) as follows:

Z0CY, IMAC 20/2.0/SD CTO

will now ship by Jan 24, 2006

and deliver by Jan 31, 2006[/I]

Ouch. That must be one hell of a backorder. When Steve said they're shipping now, someone should've asked "How many?"

Patience and it will come. You cannot imagine how close is January 31, 2006.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Glad to hear you're taking the zen path on this one. It sucks though, because you get all worked up over your new computer, and then... you... have... to... wait...

Been there, done that. We're with ya, bro.

Blue Friday has officially turned to Happy Mac day! Woot! Just called Apple and Nick told me that the iMac is boxed and awaiting pickup by FedEx.

Now, if the Broncos win on Sunday, the path will have come full circle and all will be well in the universe.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by godrifle

I'm being an immature, whiny kid on the verge of throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants!

I am with you the wait kills me. I am saving 8 hours of comp time for the day after my new MacBook Pro gets dropped off!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd imagine that any kind of customization sets them back, too. If you get a different hard drive, more RAM, etc. installed it could take a little longer to get your machine out.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I'd imagine that any kind of customization sets them back, too. If you get a different hard drive, more RAM, etc. installed it could take a little longer to get your machine out.

yeah that is absolutly a factor

When I ordered my new iMac it said shippingin 24h.

And then when I added 512 MB Ram and changed to 256MB vRam and I placed the order it changed to 6 days.

Well I still can't wait
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Ordering a stock iMac from our local Apple on-line Store gives you a quote of delivery in 24 hours.

No build-to-order option changes that, except by changing the hard disc to the 500 MB model (which I did), the delivery date jumps to 3 to 4 weeks!

Patience is needed, indeed!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Apple is generally conservative when they quote shipping dates. When my brother ordered his iPod 5G, they quoted him a week for SHIPPING. Then he received it three days later.

Has anyone ever had a time where the order is pushed FORWARD?

When I ordered my MacBook Pro, I was quoted February 17th as the shipping date. A few days later, it was changed to February 15th with no other notice. (I happened to log into my account on the Apple store when I saw it.)
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Sure, *most* of my orders do ship and arrive earlier than the Apple projections.

It is a shame that orders are sometimes delayed, but yes, they do sometimes arrive sooner than promised.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I've got the F5 bug... Keep checking that order status page but no information. Was like that when I got my iPod too!

About to make the plunge into the Apple world and ordered an Intel iMac on 14th Jan. Still nothing definite on the status page though.

Is it usual for them to ship software separately from the iMac if I ordered in the same order? It's just iWorks '06 says delivery estimate 24th whereas the iMac is still nothing.

(I'm being optimistic - maybe I'll be exposè-ing and playing with genie-effect minimising windows to my hearts content Friday!)
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Hi Guys

Well I am in Germany and I ordered my iMac last week Friday and the order has been confirmed an Tuesday (Wire Transfer)

Then first the shipping date has been estimated to 1st February. And then 8 hours later another field showed up in the status "Expected arrival" which is 10th February.

Which made we wonder: "Where are they shipping that thing from?"

On the status page it says Merge in Transit NL which must mean Applecare and the iMac are merged in the Netherlands where I know Apple has a big Customer Service and Logistic Centre.

Do you think with 1st Feb they mean they are sending from the Netherlands, Taiwan (or wherever they built iMacs) or Silicon Valley?

And happy to hear any thoughts on that.

Because 9 days shipping must mean directly from the factory.

It takes like 1 day shipping from NL to Germany and not 9 days.

I guess I should look at the bride side, the longer shipping takes the more it means the new iMacs are selling really well

Update1: Well just today 26th Jan I got an email that it has shipped, 3-4 business days (not sure if they count Saturday. So you can imagine I am jumping around

In the email it said it will now take 6-7 days to ship, will be interesting to see if Apple surprises me and it will be at my doorstep tomorrow morning we'll see....
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I ordered an iPod Video on Dec. 19th 2005. I was quoted 3 days for shipping.

It turned out to be almost 4 weeks (I received it 2 weeks ago; maybe it was due to the custom engraving).

Anyway, once it was built, it shipped from Singapore and I received it only 3 days later (pretty quick, I live in Luxembourg).

Most (all?) Apple computers are build in Asia, only some of the assembly is done in Ireland (for the EMEA market).

Hope I will be more lucky with my iMac (I read on the net that sales seem to be sluggish).

Edit: oops, I forgot to mention that I ordered my iMac through my local Apple dealer. I don't know if it has any consequences on the delivery time, but one consequence is that I'm not able to follow the process on-line ).