ASTEROID alert?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Remember the rumours about the Apple Asteroid audio interface, even that Apple was working with Apogee Digital to create it? Remember how Apple went after some of the rumour sites to shut down the leaks?

Well, it looks like those rumors were true. Just released at the NAMM show are Apogee's new digital interfaces developed in partnership with Apple.

There are two audio interfaces, the Ensemble and the Symphony. Apogee also introduced new software called Maestro for mixing and routing. Looks good, especially for tying in with Logic. Don't know the prices yet. Check out the product at the following link.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/

Just so happens that I am in the market for a new audio interface, looking at Apogee, and decided to wait to see what NAMM brought.

For those who don't know, Apogee Digital is known for some of the best sounding analoge-to-digital and digital-to-analoge convertors. They helped pioneered high quality (and expensive) digital sound and played a hand in making digital sound sound as smooth as analoge.

This is big for Mac users because the other big audio platform Digidesign ProTools is owned by Avid, which of course squares off against Apple's Final Cut Pro. While there have been good audio interfaces that work with Macs, such as those from MOTU and M-Audio, these latest Apogee convertors may be a big step up for Mac users. Of course Apogee gear already worked with Mac OS but these new pieces of gear look to be a big step up, especially if the price is right.

Just recently, Digidesign bought M-Audio so it is nice to see Apple have a great solution to secure their future in audio. MOTU, which makes good products, probably is a little ticked, but their software and hardware is good enough to stand on their own. I have owned some MOTU gear and it is good stuff. Same for their software.

But my past Apogee convertors were some of the best. If anybody knows the price points of the new Apogee gear, let us know.