Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Now that it appears both standards will be in the hands of consumers this year, which are you going to embrace?

Or, will you want both?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I don't think we'll see a drive that can do both. I plan to have both. I'll likely buy HD DVD first and then follow up with a PS3.

Next year I plan to get a 55" or larger HDTV and starting building a Home Theatre system. At that time I expect there to be excellent options for HDMI (4 inputs)equipped Digital Receivers with 7.1 surround.

I want a device that plays back my digital files ala Roku Labs M2000. 802.11n stuff will just start hitting the market by end of this year promising real world 100Mbs throughput and better range.

Apple's Front Row might be a capable front end for HTPC but we'll see. At any rate I want access to all movies in HD and I don't expect to pay more than $700 for both formats together which is fine for this movie lover.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Samsung is planning a dual (hd dvd and blu-ray) player (or maybe recorder?)

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/06/s...y-disc-player/
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Cosmo you left out a very important fourth choice-- Neither.

I suppose your poll was meant for early adopters; however, I'm sure most people are going to wait until one format is the definite clear winner before plunking down their cash.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I was going to say, there should be another option -- "The Winner."

I'm not buying either until I know it's not a dead end. It doesn't fit under 'Both' or 'Neither'.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Personaly from a technical standpoint at the momment I prefer Blu-Ray, but I do see HD-DVD being more easily sold to the general public. It's this whole "HD" thing.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Personaly from a technical standpoint at the momment I prefer Blu-Ray, but I do see HD-DVD being more easily sold to the general public. It's this whole "HD" thing.

Me, too. The public is going to say to themselves, "Blu-ray? What's that? I recognize 'DVD' and HD is a good thing. I'll buy that."

Admin or Mod, could you please add a "Whatever wins" category to the poll?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I vote for Blu-Ray, but I'm still at a loss on what's gonna take up a 50 gig disc...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Blu-ray has already won.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Blu-ray has already won.

So where do I place my order? Or I forgot...I can't.

Kind of hard to win a battle when you're not even taking money on the product.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    And HD-DVD is?

Your bias is well represented on these and other forums as is your hyperbole.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

And HD-DVD is?

Your bias is well represented on these and other forums as is your hyperbole.

No the hyperole is claiming victory before the battle has even started. Please feel free to point out where I've been obviously been wrong.

We'll see Cake.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I still think never is a viable response and should be included in the poll. Here's why. Consumers and I'm not talking about early adopters, are going to be very wary of the two competing standards, and probably won't vote with their dollars until there is a definite winning format and the players have dropped to a $200 - $250 price point. Does anyone see that happening soon? Another problem, one that is sure to be a turn off those people with a HD TV that is several years old and only has component video inputs, is that apparently you need HDMI to get the full benefit of 1080p. Which do you see those people doing, rushing right out to replace their TV or wait 3 or 4 years until their TV needs replacing before buying a HD/BR player?

Murch, you seem to have a highly optimistic view of HD players. Do you really see consumers widely adopting HD/BR in 1 year? 2 years? 3 -5 years?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Another problem, one that is sure to be a turn off those people with a HD TV that is several years old and only has component video inputs, is that apparently you need HDMI to get the full benefit of 1080p.

Most HD sets even today only show 720p maximum resolution. They downres any 1080i/p signals to 720p.

My point: People who can only accept analog component HD signals probably can't get the "full benefit" of 1080p no matter what, so what does it matter?

By the way, there's nothing wrong with HD through component.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I heard that HDTV's need to be HDCP compliant to view Blu-Ray. If you had an

older HDTV that wasn't compliant, you wouldn't see any video when you try to

watch through HDMI, DVI or component.

Does anyone have anymore info about this? I plan to pick up Samsung's new

HL-S5679W LED DLP when it comes out but I'm not sure if it's compliant. I

assume it would be since it's new & it has two HDMI inputs that accept 1080p.

Also, does your AV receiver need to be HDCP compliant as well?

• Reply 15 of 18
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Talk was through non-HDCP protected inputs it'd display SD pictures or some lower quality. Not sure they have even formalised that part of things yet though.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

So where do I place my order? Or I forgot...I can't.

??? I'm pretty sure the major electronics companies are all releasing high end rigs about now. Given that there's no HD media out yet, there's not a whole lot of point in having either device at the moment.

Nonetheless, Blu-Ray is the more advanced of the two formats, it uses technologies that industries involved and related to disc authoring have been wanting for years, and it can hold more data. Assuming all else equal (i.e. price) I don't see how anyone in their right mind can want HD-DVD to win. Unless you own Toshiba stock or want MS to have a giant choke hold on yet another industry, it just doesn't occur to me what's the point of HD-DVD.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Murch, you seem to have a highly optimistic view of HD players. Do you really see consumers widely adopting HD/BR in 1 year? 2 years? 3 -5 years?

OC73 I think that the players will avg $200 by xmas 2007 on both sides. I think that with Samsung and LG investing heavily in plants for the construction of new LCD panels we'll see that 40" LCD will be around $999 and support 1080p at that time. I think this will spur adoption more than anything. HD looks GREAT on a larger screen and I think the prices in a couple of years are going to make a lot of us smile.

Mello...you're fine. HDMI by default supports HDCP.

Splinemodel,

I do think BD is superior in most ways. I'm just not a fan of a device with 3 layers of DRM when I've had enough problems with the relatively DRM free Red Laser DVD spec. I can only guess what havoc shoddy engineering is going to cause in older BD players when stuff starts going on the fritz. I don't mean to FUD here but I just find that CE stuff is flaky after some time and DRM will only compound problems. At any rate I'll have both players anyways and cross my fingers.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rminkler

Samsung is planning a dual (hd dvd and blu-ray) player (or maybe recorder?)

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/06/s...y-disc-player/

Samsung have since confirmed that they won't be producing a dual format drive, as there are strict licensing issues concerned with both formats. It's going to be one or the other (or until one format is brought to the brink).