What's happenin', people?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Long time no visit...

Hope those among the old guard (those I'm familiar with IOW) are well. Just thought I'd pop in to see what's new around here. I see the political outsider forum has not yet imploded into nothingness... congratulations.

Fellows I haven't seen any photography of yours in a long time (I recall you used to shoot some nice landscapes and macro stuff), post any photo threads recently? What about Artman, anyone seen that guy around (under a new name maybe)?

Anyway, just stopping through. If this thread dies an instantaneous death, allow me to take this opportunity to wish a thousand blessings upon you and your respective progeny.

Cheers,

Moogs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    What's up my Moogs?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    sup foo...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hassan: not much home slice, just got the day off so I thought I'd make the rounds at some of the forums I don't spend much time at anymore. Hey, just remembered: I'll be in your neck of the woods later this summer!

Got any recommended vacation / kick-back destinations in Wales for me? For a photographer that place looks pretty cool. BTW, why is Wales divided on the map like it's a separate country, yet it has no country status on the table with all the flags and such. It's all part of the UK but is it separately governed from England proper? Is it like your version of Puerto Rico?

Outsider: dig the sig... I see you're still fightin' the good fight, making sure the man doesn't keep us down. First Google, then the world... that's how it always works.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Thanks segovious (good to see you btw). So Wales is a country all its own. That's certainly how the map reads, I just can't find any demographics, flags, capital etc in my table of countries. Guess it's all lumped under the UK banner.

I've heard of Snowdonia and also Brecon Beacon Nat'l Park. Both look very cool indeed. And lots of B&B type places to stay, and at a reasonable rate no less. Only wished I had more time to dedicate. Should be fun though, the only time I've ever been in England was just passing through Heathrow a couple times.

BTW, passports needed at the border or train station if going from England to Wales and back?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    No. Give Sego time though........

Above ground North Wales is beautiful,below ground is pretty amazing too.

Make sure you go on the Ffestiniog railway too, from Blaenau to Porthmadog, or vice versa. I spent a lot of my childhood holidays in Wales. Love it and its' people .
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Wow. Good stuff. Thanks, Alex!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    My pleasure Moogs. I hope you have time to sample a bit more of England than Heathrow as well.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Heheh. Yep. That'd be the idea.

Going to spend about two days in London, 4 days in the Cotswalds, maybe a day or two in Bath, then over to Wales I think. Yet to do all the research but it looks like we can pretty much do the whole thing by train.

A friend was recommending staying outside of London the day before we leave (to be close to the airport), maybe Oxford (just west of the city I think). Is that a worthwhile endeavor or is it pretty much like any other Ivy League university? Old buildings, quads, etc etc.?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    If 50 miles is just west of the city to you I salute you.Do go there, it is the archetype of quads etc 'city of dreaming spires' etc.. Bath I can help you with as I was born 10 miles away and that's where I met my wife, whose family still lives there. Beautiful town, a bit up it's own arse but still well worth a visit. Stonehenge is not far from there, Avebury also. Cotswolds= achingly lovely, sigh.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Howdy Moogs. Gonna stick around for a while?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Hey Cosmo... not sure how often I'll get the time, but yah, I wouldn't mind lurking about and posting here or there when there's something I can contribute to.

Alex: my mistake on Oxford... I got that mixed up with Windsor (I think that's just outside London) from a conversation I'd had. So AFA that goes, anything other than the castle to see there? Other non-royalty points of interest?

As for Stonehenge, I thought that was down by the southern coast... near Salisbury? What about Bristol, Stroud, Swindon areas? We were thinking of finding one of these small towns that might also be a sort of rail hub, where we stay in one place at night then head out in the morning and come back in the afternoon or early evening...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Moogs, you're talking about what we vaguely call the West Country. I was born in Bristol, so I'm biased-you have to go there! My hero is Isambard Kingdom Brunel Crazy name-amazing guy. ( (transalantic cables anyone?) The Clifon Suspension Bridge, please, walk it. Also. the first screw-driven ship, iron clad etc. The SS. Great Britain, go see it in sunny Bristol.

• Reply 13 of 14
    Will do!

So far my itinerary looks like it will take me through Bristol, maybe Bath (although looks very touristy), Tetbury, Stroud, Cheltanham, Chipping Campden (watch out for Little Compton - might get capped!), Gloucester, and on into Wales for about 4 or 5 days. Looks like one of those BritRail passes might be a good investment for same... won't be cheap when it's all said and done but I think it will be great, weather permitting.