Apple Mighty Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I purchased the apple might mouse this weekend and am very pleased with the scrolling. The buttons on each side enables Expose "All Windows". There is the main button when you push down on the mouse. However, there is actually an invisible button about half a centimeter to the right of the scroller which acts as a right mouse click. Until now, I have used PC mice on my powerbook. The mighty mouse works so much better than those..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    i to have a mighty mouse and like to use it, however its not the best mouse ive used. My problems with it is the price and its not the most comfiest mouse around either. But all in all its good.

• Reply 2 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Um...glad you like your Mighty Mouse. Thanks for the thread.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Yeah thanks, it was interesting to know that it has a right click button. I didn't know that. Now I want one even more.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by antartican

Yeah thanks, it was interesting to know that it has a right click button. I didn't know that. Now I want one even more.

Really? I was under the impression that the whole point of the MM was that Apple finally released a mouse that you could right-click with. I mean, the scroller thing was enough to make me want it (not that I bought it or anything), but it was the touch sensor that made it news-worthy.

Here's a question for MM owners: How long did it take to stop hitting control when you wanted to right-click? I've only used a Mac for 3 years or so, but I already feel like it would take a significant amount of time to reacclimate myself to having 2 mouse buttons. Also, is it annoying that you have to pick up your index finger to right-click?

To the OP: Do you know that the scroll ball can act as a button too? That gives you a total of 4 buttons: left, right, side, and ball. I'd like another to map to Dashboard, but getting rid of hot-corners for "all windows" and "desktop" would be a pretty big improvement for me.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    The ball is "okay". The pro is that I miss it trying to side-scroll in windows so I must use that more than I think. The con is that its a bit small to scroll quickly (for me anyway). Plus I hear it gums up pretty fast.

Vinea
  • Reply 6 of 30
    It only took me only a few days to re-adjust to not pressing contorl click. I dont mind having to move my index finger when i right click, it did get taking used to, but like above just a few days. I defently like the scroll ball for both side scrolling (i actually miss it when i use my bro's pc)and the 4th button (i use that for expose). I also use the side sqeeze buttons for launching dashboard.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    The bigger problem for me was learning not to 'left-click' on the right hand side of the mouse. I typically have the mouse almost sideways in my hand and that confuses the poor beast. Now I've adapted to having two buttons it's all fine though.

Amorya
  • Reply 8 of 30
    The scrolling on my mouse doesnt seem to be working much anymore when it comes to using FireFox. Has anyone else experienced this problem?? It'll work on say the first page and then thereafter will stop working. Wanted to check in here before I call AppleCare... I checked the System Pref and it is all set-up to scroll.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    So I'm using Safari now and it is working fine... so its only Firefox where it seems to be occuring... Any help is much appreciated.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    I set up my MM so that the right click is the Primary button, (control click?) and the left button is the secondary button. Is that confusing. anyway, I rest my index finger on the scroll button and my middle finger on the right side. when I want to "right click" (remember it's to the left now) I move my index finger of the button and to the left. Works for me...

I do like the MM. as much as any other mouse i've used.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Um...glad you like your Mighty Mouse. Thanks for the thread.

• Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by elron

Also, is it annoying that you have to pick up your index finger to right-click?

I haven't noticed any need to do this. It might be something that varies with the individual. I didn't use one for long, but it seemed fine.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ciparis

I haven't noticed any need to do this. It might be something that varies with the individual. I didn't use one for long, but it seemed fine.

Yes, what I found is that I naturally lift my index finger, when I right click.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    I've noticed (I'm right handed) that the side button on the left is too far up for my thumb to comfortably rest on it. Otherwise, I like it a lot.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'm mostly concerned about long-term grunge build-up on the ball, and a seemingly lack of any easy way to clean it. i'd rather see some sort of seamless method, just like when they moved the ipod from a real moving wheel to a circular trackpad. i mean, i keep my hands clean, but you can't keep that thing clean forever.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    I don't know if people knew this but there is a third mouse click button right dead center on the scroll ball which for instance in safari when used to click on a link will open up that page in a new tab.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I don't know if people knew this but there is a third mouse click button right dead center on the scroll ball which for instance in safari when used to click on a link will open up that page in a new tab.

I know about it. It drives me crazy. I had to change the button mapping to get rid of it-- it's too lightly sprung and and its way to easy to depress when you're just trying to scroll.

• Reply 18 of 30
    Is your finger made of lead? Well I haven't had any problems with that...
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I know about it. It drives me crazy. I had to change the button mapping to get rid of it-- it's too lightly sprung and and its way to easy to depress when you're just trying to scroll.

Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Is your finger made of lead? Well I haven't had any problems with that...

The center button underneath the scroll only works in Tiger. I bought the mighty mouse what I was running Panther. The install CD only worked on Tiger, hence all mouse sensors were preconfigured until I upgraded to Tiger. I installed the software. Then, I could customize the features. The center mouse button under the scroll is not as sensative as icfireball described in my mighty mouse. Maybe Apple received complaints and hence changed this.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    Well... it's a pretty mouse. and flashy and cool, but to be honest, It's a peace of crap.

Nice feature that 2 in 1 button thing. And the scroll ball is pretty cool.

But have you tried to use that thing with Photoshop or Illustrator, or what ever program that you really need to use a right click? That thing is just plain hell on earth... damn that thing is just plain worthless...

Ctrl+click is the way to go if you don't have an other mouse. (in apps like PS)