iMac 20-inch to hang on the wall?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone thinking about going this route to have an imac media center (TV/VCR/DVD watching/gaming/browsing) ?? I am a photographer, so I'd also be using it to check photos during my studio shoots (with clients). This already justifies the purchase to me..

What do I need to make the thing function as a TV/Tivo type thing? Good idea? Bad Idea?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The latest versions of the iMac do not include the ability to attach to a VESA mount. You would have to find an iMac from before iSights were a feature in order to mount to the wall.

As far as TV/TiVo goes, check out www.elgato.com for hardware/software products.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    With the new design; VESA is gone.

You could either put the iMac on a shelf; or simply on a desk. Since 20" are quite small for watching TV on it from the couch across the room; sitting back in your computer chair in front (row) of your desk might be the better way, anyway.

Quote:

Originally posted by Dutchy

What do I need to make the thing function as a TV/Tivo type thing?

You need an external TV tuner for Mac - I recommend eyeTV. They are available for various TV standards, including DVB-S and DVB-T.

They cost about 300 ? ; but they are definitely worth it.

The eyeTV software apparently doesn't run in Rosetta, but an Intel version should be ready soon.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

edit: pretty much what PBG4 Dude just said, but in more detail.