Does buying music vids = lock into apple/ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I tried doing a search of a topic like this and found nothing. Sorry in advance if i just couldnt find it. I just bought a music video from iTMS and remembered from the media event that steve said you couldn't burn them to disk. This to me is a little to restrictive. Now i can only play them on my ipod or my computer. At least with music you can burn them to cd, play them in other cd players and the biggest part why the music DRM is so good is if you want to put your songs on another mp3 player you can just import them to itunes as an mp3 and the DRM is gone. Now i know in many years i can put my music wherever i want (if i decide to go with other software/hardware). However there is now way to do this with videos. Any thoughts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    All DRM is basically aimed at locking you in to somebody's platform. That's why there is no standard for it and each vendor makes up their own system.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    That to me is the worst thing about the videos. You should at least be able to burn it to DVD with the DRM along with it, so the videos would have the same level of encryption as standard commercial DVDs.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

All DRM is basically aimed at locking you in to somebody's platform. That's why there is no standard for it and each vendor makes up their own system.

I understand that DRM is aimed to protect content and therefore usually locks the end user into a particular system. However it seems odd that apple would in a way downgrade their DRM so you couldnt even watch it on a tv without an ipod or an macintosh computer. I guess the only way to get the deal inked was for this to be one of the DRM requirements, however this is the only thing stopping me from buying videos on the iTMS. At least with music i can get it on other devices, platforms etc.

PS: Do you think we will ever see a change in the video DRM. Also thank for the great replies.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The MPAA and RIAA want you to buy content, they just don't want you to use it the way you want.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by larry.david

I understand that DRM is aimed to protect content...

Protecting content is the excuse for DRM. Vendor and platform lock-in, protecting business models from open and free competition, and extending the control of "content providers" well beyond the already corporate-biased/consumer-unfriendly reaches which our imbalanced intellectual property laws provide -- these are what DRM is really about.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    If you were unscrupulous, there are plenty of bittorrent sites out there.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

PS: Do you think we will ever see a change in the video DRM. Also thank for the great replies.

That's possible. Apple did change Fairplay once if you recall.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

However it seems odd that apple would in a way downgrade their DRM so you couldnt even watch it on a tv without an ipod or an macintosh computer.

You could use a Windows computer that has iTunes on it. I have such a computer in my home theater.

Allowing burned CDs of audio isn't much compared to the actual CD product. Still, with DVDs, I think they don't want non-encrypted DVDs getting out, but that's a joke because DVD encryption was a joke. As the resolution was so low, I think they could have at least allowed Video CD burning.