Classic's Fate...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Now that Intel Macs are shipping we've learned that they will not support Classic Mac OS under OS X. This means that all future Macs will no longer support Classic either.

The question is, will Mac OS X 10.5 still support it?

I for one haven't used it in ages. Aside from OS 9 apps I wrote myself, I'd have no use for it and won't miss it when I get a new intel Mac.

But if 10.5 includes changes under the hood, it is possible that Apple won't spend time fixing classic since no new machines will support it anyhow. This would be the 6th Mac OS X release (excluding the public beta) and it might be time to drop it.

Do you Classic's end is in sight?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Now that Intel Macs are shipping we've learned that they will not support Classic Mac OS under OS X. This means that all future Macs will no longer support Classic either.

The question is, will Mac OS X 10.5 still support it?

I for one haven't used it in ages. Aside from OS 9 apps I wrote myself, I'd have no use for it and won't miss it when I get a new intel Mac.

But if 10.5 includes changes under the hood, it is possible that Apple won't spend time fixing classic since no new machines will support it anyhow. This would be the 6th Mac OS X release (excluding the public beta) and it might be time to drop it.

I think it is.

And I think Classic was an ugly hack. And, when I actually used it back in the early OS X releases, it felt like most apps didn't run correctly...especially games and apps that needed direct access to hardware (for obvious reasons those didn't run).

I'd much rather see someone polish SheepShaver or BasiliskII for a fully protected OS 9 environment that actually *acts* the way it should.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Yes

Good riddence to the rubbish
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I could be perfectly happy without classic but there are still a few biology simulation apps i need to run with classic on my 12" PB. Hopefully my teacher will find something better soon.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I could be perfectly happy without classic but there are still a few biology simulation apps i need to run with classic on my 12" PB. Hopefully my teacher will find something better soon.

I feel your pain, Cisco has loads of great tools for us CCNA students but they are all compiled for OS9...and they are mostly FLASH!!!

Kinda pathetic really
  • Reply 5 of 10
    SheepShaver and Basilisk II do seem to be the best answer now that the Classic Environment is on life support. However it would be very helpful if Apple relieved the developers of any intellectual property concerns and maybe even spent a little of its cash aiding their efforts.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I know, right? Why isn't OS 9 a free download yet!?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I know, right? Why isn't OS 9 a free download yet!?

Perhaps because it still ships on new computers.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I wish they made it easier to uninstall. I just did so the other day only because it was bugging me. I have no use for it and while I have more than enough disk space, why have it? I had to use sudo (which I hate using cause I know one day I'm going to delete my System folder, I know it) and now Classic is gone. None of my classes require it.

I have a CD that came with my history book but I rarely used it and it wasn't so great, so getting rid of Classic is no skin off my back.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    The only reason I am keeping my dual Boot Power Mac Digital Audio is because i feel like at some point I might need to dig in to OS9 for something, but since 10.3 I haven't touched it for anything.

We still run Avid media composers on 9 at my work and they are very stable, but I don't know hoe much longer we can do that.

With all the concentration on Rossetta, I think that "Classic" is dead. If you are still on OS9 or have apps to run under the classic emulation, I'm afraid you are screwed.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

With all the concentration on Rossetta, I think that "Classic" is dead. If you are still on OS9 or have apps to run under the classic emulation, I'm afraid you are screwed.

Classic is not an emulator. Classic is a PPC-based software that runs on PPC-based hardware. As for being screwed, nothing of the sort. You can keep your PPC-based Macs for Classic applications.