Using an external harddrive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a ibook and am running out of space very quickly with all my media (music, movies, 7 seasons of the SIMPSONS lol) and am looking into getting a external hard drive. How easy does that work with itunes? Is it hard and a hassle moving music and epecially video content back and forth to my computer so i can put it on itunes or do i even need to put in back on my computer? Can i just put itunes and my 50 gigs of media on the the hard drive and not even have it on my ibook and then plug in my harddrive when i want to update my ipod.

Please help me out! thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You could just put your iTunes library on the external HD. It's right in iTune's preferences.

Not sure if this is what you're asking, though. If you moved the library to another HD, you wouldn't be able to play iTunes w/o the external drive (duh). Maybe it would be better to use the external drive for less-used media like video.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    can anyone recommend a good and fast external? 200gig max is all i need. thanks
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cato988

can anyone recommend a good and fast external? 200gig max is all i need. thanks

P.S. I forgot Reasonably priced
  • Reply 4 of 6
    http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10033

You could also buy one of these and put it in an external drive enclosure for about $30 extra:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144392
  • Reply 5 of 6
    wow! it has been a while since i have looked at harddrives and stuff. The price has gone down a lot. Its pretty cool what you can get.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

You could just put your iTunes library on the external HD. It's right in iTune's preferences.

Not sure if this is what you're asking, though. If you moved the library to another HD, you wouldn't be able to play iTunes w/o the external drive (duh). Maybe it would be better to use the external drive for less-used media like video.

Bummer, I too was looking for some kind of easily managed mixed storage solution. I would like to go laptop-only but offload much of the iTunes library to an external drive and not cause problems.

I have not tried this, but one solution might be is to turn off iTunes library self-manage feature, and move the lesser albums to the external drive. When you are away, those external files won't be playable, you'll get a '!' in a circle if you try to play it. I think once you reconnect the drive, it should work again. This way, you still have some iTunes media for the road without having to lug around the entire collection, and also not have to go without the collection. I hope this idea helps, as I wrote, I haven't tried it yet.