1st post from mac mini :D

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Well here it is...I managed to get my mac mini online with the aid of a D-link DWL-122 USB WiFi adaptor - go me! I'm beginning to really get into this mac thing now, I even managed to install firefox! I know, I know, such a lame thing to get exited about but this is all very new to me! Next step, one of those fancy external HDD's that stack nicely under the mini, looks like LaCie are releasing one soon with a USB and firewire hub built-in, I rekon I'll wait till they relase it and get me one of those bad-boys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lol

i remember when i first got my iBook (over a year ago now), it ran the setup assistant and 5 mins later i was like is that all there is? the last computer i bought took nearly 2 hours to set up!!!!

stu
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Ok, so the D-link DWL-122 is poop. It's not recognised at startup - you have to unplug it and plug it back in, it only keeps a connection up for a couple of minutes before it drops and even causes my mac mini to freeze up. After a little research it would appear that this adapter is a 'bad buy' and very few people have managed to get it to work on mac OR pc! I have ordered myself a macsense WUA-800 which looks like a better option, it connects to the ethernet port for communication and draws power form the USB bus. Heres hoping it turns up fast and works well...I will update you with a report when it arrives.

I cant believe that there doesnt appear to be a USB WiFi adapter that will work out the box and be stable o OS X, there must surely be a market for such a device??
  • Reply 3 of 4
    USB Wifi isn't that stable for anything. This has to do with a number of factors, often relating to the USB bus implementation. If you have the ability to plug in or get an Airport card, that would be the best option. Otherwise, it might be worth looking into getting a wireless access point, which will plug into the ethernet port. The DWL-800 series seems to work alright.

My company is involved in commercial retail networks. We actually used them once when one of our much more expensive units was having a problem. (shhh!)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yeah, this WUA-800 is an access point thingy that goes in the ethernet port.

Is it possible to install airport in a mac mini yourself? Sending it off to an authorised apple place is bound to cost 8 times what the WUA-800 is and probably about 5 times the cost of an airport card! I will be upgrading the RAM myself sometime in the future...