Guitar Rig by Native Instruments

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
has anyone used this?

i'm thinking of purchasing it sometime soon.

native instruments always makes good software and i've heard this is pretty bitchin..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I wish I had it. (Note regarding Birthday present to self.) I saw a good review for it in MacAddict. That was before the latest update.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    It's fantastic. I use it all the time for recording. You will not regret purchasing.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

It's fantastic. I use it all the time for recording. You will not regret purchasing.

good to know.

i'm hearing amazing things about the entier Native Instrument line from every single artist and user.

my wish list

Reaktor

Guitar Rig

Absynth

all three should be coming for intel macs by the second quarter according to them.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Like much NI stuff, Guitar Rig is technically and sonically stunning, but riddled with bugs.

Fortunately, the big bug plaguing guitar rig 2 (nasty clicks and pops) has apparently been fixed... I'm downloading the update as we speak.

My experience of NI stuff is this - you'll love how it sounds and won't be able to live without it - but the actually use of it will frustrate you to hell. This may not be the case so much with Guitar Rig which (along with B4) has an uncharacteristically good user interface (some NI stuff is horrible to use).
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

Like much NI stuff, Guitar Rig is technically and sonically stunning, but riddled with bugs.

Fortunately, the big bug plaguing guitar rig 2 (nasty clicks and pops) has apparently been fixed... I'm downloading the update as we speak.

My experience of NI stuff is this - you'll love how it sounds and won't be able to live without it - but the actually use of it will frustrate you to hell. This may not be the case so much with Guitar Rig which (along with B4) has an uncharacteristically good user interface (some NI stuff is horrible to use).

yeh i've been noticing what you speak of.

i dont know how the hell they designed some of their drum kit interfaces on Reaktor, it blows my mind.

also, absynth is all digital, i like nobs, come on native

though there is such a huge library, people make their own patches/interface skus

mr skills- what do you use for speakers with guitar rig? like what kind of set up? i've heard some good studio speakers would do, others plug it into their cabinets

• Reply 6 of 12
    Well, just for an update on the Guitar Rig pops and crackles ... they are still there. This is really annoying. There was an update a month ago which said "crackling noises are now fixed - but if you still get them try working in 48k" (in other words "they're not really fixed"). This one said that they were actually fixed - of course, they are not.

[rant]

When I installed an NI programme recently (might have been Reaktor), you had to go through a whole sign-up process on their web-site to make it work. Now, firstly, the web site is poorly designed and it was sometimes unclear what I had to press next. Secondly, the sign-up process ended by giving you a serial number to type into the programme. Unfortunately, there was nowhere in the program to type the number - it was expecting you to run another installer, not type a number! It took them several days to fix, and I still can't believe no-one even tried the installer before sending it out.

When I installed B4, it had no presets. I had to delete it and reinstall. When I installed Kontakt, it only worked in 7.1 (surround sound) mode, not stereo. I had to delete it and reinstall.

The installers never make it clear *where* you are installing, and can make your hard drive a mess of redundant folders if you are not careful (especially when installing new versions, e.g. B4 II, which make no reference to where the old versions are installed).

It's pot luck whether the programs have a good interface (guitar rig) or a dog's dinner (Kontakt).

[/rant]

But still... they sound good.

i don't know how these things work, but I guess most companies like this have a team who works on the guts of the programme (sonics etc.) and a team to work on user-interface, installers, that kind of stuff. It seems like at NI they've saved money by getting the same team of programmers who made the basic plug-in to make their own user interface and installers, and do their own testing...

@Elixir: I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. If you mean what speakers to I monitor on in my studio, then KRKs. If you mean do I put Guitar Rig through real cabs, then no. I work as a professional audio engineer, so I am normally recording the real thing. But when I do my own music at home, I use Guitar Rig to avoid upsetting the neighbours. Sonically it is the first modeller ever where I don't get that slight sense of "sounds-like-a-pod" disappointment when I plug my guitar in... but I still use real amps when I have the opportunity.

Anyway, you'll love guitar rig... just be prepared to put up with some heartache until they sort the bugs... by which time you'll be buying Guitar Rig 3 and beta testing for them all over again
  • Reply 7 of 12
    yeh my question was about running guitar rig through cabs.

right now i'm also in the market for some nice studio speakers.

something in the price range of 200-300 hundred.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    200-300 dollars or pounds? Although in either case, I'm not too sure of what's on the market for that price. I use a pair of KRK V6s, which are about £500 - I'd say that's amazingly cheap for a pair of such good speakers. They are active (i.e. built-in amps so you'll need something to control the volume) and I think they're amazing for the price. They are quite bright and hi-fi sounding (which some people will not like, but I do) but still very detailed. Worth a listen, and definitely better than their big brothers, the V8s (which are not as tight in the bottom end, IMHO).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I agree with the tone here. NI sounds great, but bug ridden apps and a crappy website make for a poor experience. Gtr Rig 1 actually had a bug where the bottom of the plug in wasn't visible, AND THE NEVER FIXED IT. Insane.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    well i hope by time native instruments release something for intel macs that all the bugs will be fixed.

a need good all around speakers between 200-300 dollars U.S

i'll be using it for sounds with basically all native instrument apps and such.

i'll check out the krk
  • Reply 11 of 12
    bump:

can anyone tell me about hte soundcard that comes with guitar rig2?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Guitar Rig does not come with a soundcard. It is a software plug-in that will work in Logic or GarageBand or pretty much whatever you use. The only hardware that comes with it is a foot controller (for controlling wah and stuff).