Nano firmware 1.1

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am more than a little annoyed with this update. Used to be that when you held the menu button the backlight would come on...very handy when in a totally or very dark room and you cant see the screen to navigate. now the only way is to turn on the backlight so that it goes on with every button push or to scroll down to the backlight selection and press it. with the first option you end up using up a lot of battery and with the second you cant really use it well at night since you would need to be able to navigate just to turn on the light!

anyone else bothered by this or know of a workaround?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

I am more than a little annoyed with this update. Used to be that when you held the menu button the backlight would come on...very handy when in a totally or very dark room and you cant see the screen to navigate. now the only way is to turn on the backlight so that it goes on with every button push or to scroll down to the backlight selection and press it. with the first option you end up using up a lot of battery and with the second you cant really use it well at night since you would need to be able to navigate just to turn on the light!

anyone else bothered by this or know of a workaround?

I never really used this feature, I just extended the auto-backlight to ten seconds, so all I do is bump the clickwheel and I get enough light to get by. It really didn't seem to do anything to battery run time. If you don't like it, you can go to the iPod updater and install nano firmware 1.0. It should be on the CD that you bought with the nano. I suspect that most of what 1.1 did was this and to add the FM remote capability. If you don't need the FM feature, then you probably are gaining by going back to 1.0.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    true. good point.forgot i could go back