Dual Monitors+

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
"The Macintosh II had a PC-style expandable case which required an external monitor, it was also able to run up to six external displays simultaneously using multiple video cards. The desktop spanned multiple monitors and windows could be dragged from monitor to monitor, or even straddle two or more." from http://www.answers.com/topic/apple-d...dio&hl=display

Is it possible with the current PowerMacs to do this (like have dual monitors+ spanning and what would the set-up be like if it were possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Can someone with multiple screens post a snapshot? I think a picture is worth a 1000 words in this case. Plus, the Displays Preference Pane would explain lots too.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I would, but my second screen is a projector on the far wall. Doesn't fit in a single photo. 8)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    yeah. it's easy. both my brother and i have dual monitor set-ups. i suppose if i wanted to buy another video card i could go up to 4 monitors. i don't know what i'd need four monitors for but it's possible. i think the new powermacs can support up to 8 monitors with the 4 pci-x slots.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

"The Macintosh II had a PC-style expandable case which required an external monitor, it was also able to run up to six external displays simultaneously using multiple video cards. The desktop spanned multiple monitors and windows could be dragged from monitor to monitor, or even straddle two or more." from http://www.answers.com/topic/apple-d...dio&hl=display

Is it possible with the current PowerMacs to do this (like have dual monitors+ spanning and what would the set-up be like if it were possible?

I think all the past and current powermacs and the new iMac can use a second monitor to enlarge the desktop. It is the best and easiest system I have seen. I'll see if I can post photos later today. The only app that doesn't stay split between two monitors is the DVD player and maybe Quicktime, the playback works, but the screen slides to a single monitor. I think it is weird to try that anyway with a video app.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Can someone with multiple screens post a snapshot? I think a picture is worth a 1000 words in this case. Plus, the Displays Preference Pane would explain lots too.

Here you go:

http://demaagd.com/gr/osxdualscreen2.jpg
  • Reply 6 of 8
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    yeah there's nothing to it. hell I was doing it with my 550MHz TiBook for a long time.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I think all the past and current powermacs and the new iMac can use a second monitor to enlarge the desktop. It is the best and easiest system I have seen. I'll see if I can post photos later today. The only app that doesn't stay split between two monitors is the DVD player and maybe Quicktime, the playback works, but the screen slides to a single monitor. I think it is weird to try that anyway with a video app.

Please tell me more about DVD player problems with dual monitors. I'd like very much to use my 23" HD Display to play the DVD while I keep an iMac duo or an alBook focused on "work". Cannot do?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    No, you won't have a problem doing that. What they're talking about is if you were to try to maximize your DVD viewing window across two monitors to have one big picture you won't be able to. It'll slide fully on to whichever monitor the bulk of the window was on when you dropped it. You can stretch QT movies across two monitors. I just checked.