processor upgrade questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to upgrade my single processor G4 to a dual configuration soon. I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this type of thing.

I'm looking at a Sonnet Dual 1.8 and a Powerlogix Dual 1.2. Should I avoid either of these two brands? I'm leaning towards the Powerlogix as it's slower and cheaper. (I imagine with the FSB limitations of the G4 I wouldn't notice the difference anyway.)

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    You might consider the Giga Designs cards, too. I've had one in my Sawtooth for about 2 years, and it's ultra-stable.

http://www.gigadesigns.com/
  • Reply 2 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Oooh, I like those price-points. They don't mention any L3 cache though. Does yours have L3 cache?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Hopefully, you have already found http://www.xlr8yourmac.com. Great source for info on compatibility and reader reports of various upgrades.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I have, but it's been so long since I was shopping for parts that I'd forgotten it. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    OK, here's a left field question.

Could the 867 PPC7450 I'm replacing be made to work in a Rev 2 B&W G3 motherboard? I know the first PPC7400 G4 towers were the same logic board as their G3 predecessors, but I also know that there are a host of other issues that I have only the vaguest of understandings of.

Really, I'm trying to think of something useful to do with the "old" chip and my dad has a rev 2 G3. Assuming it's adequately cooled and I don't zap the thing with a static discharge etc, is there any danger in trying it?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

OK, here's a left field question.

Could the 867 PPC7450 I'm replacing be made to work in a Rev 2 B&W G3 motherboard? I know the first PPC7400 G4 towers were the same logic board as their G3 predecessors, but I also know that there are a host of other issues that I have only the vaguest of understandings of.

Really, I'm trying to think of something useful to do with the "old" chip and my dad has a rev 2 G3. Assuming it's adequately cooled and I don't zap the thing with a static discharge etc, is there any danger in trying it?

No it cannot, period, end of story. Dont try it.