iPod Fried?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a fourth generation 40 Gb iPod that died on my this weekend. I bought it in November 2004 with no extra warranty, so the warranty has expired by now.

The symptoms are the following:

* Upon restarting it (middle button + play/pause) I get either the the frown icon or the folder icon, directing me to the Apple iPod support site.

* Whenever I try to run it, there is the distinct sound of the harddrive trying to read and constantly getting stuck.

* Plugging in the iPod doesn't allow it to be detected by my system, unless I set it to disk mode.

I followed the instructions for setting the iPod to disk mode and running restore from the iPod updater (the one with the latest date in the filename). The first time I tried running the restore, it seemed to get hung with the progress bar stuck going nowhere (ie, alternating blue throughout the bar without any indication of progress). After half an hour, I got frustrated and tried reformatting it via Disk Utility.app. This also didn't go anywhere.

I get the distinct impression that somehow the harddrive was physically damaged (due to the "spinning trying to read" sounds), which is probably why the restore or reformat didn't work.

All this to say than I'm 90% my iPod is finished, but if someone has any reason to think it isn't and has an alternative suggestion for restoring it, please let me know.