Quiet Quad G5 w/7800gt

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After 16 years since owning/using a Mac, I swung by the local Apple store last Thursday and picked up the Power Mac G5 Quad preconfigured with 1 meg Ram, Nvidia 7800gt, wireless, and 500 GB Drive.

Sweet machine! But sounded like my old PC. Lot's of fan noise.

I saw a link to this site in another thread and decided to give this a try. http://www.hardmac.com/articles/54/

OMG!!! Even with the new fan set to high speed, you can not hear it. Only the fans in the back of the Quad. What a differenct.

On top of that, the GPU temp is now about 25 degrees F cooler during idle. It dropped from about 135 degrees F to 109 to 111 during idle.

I also dropped by Fry's today and picked up 4 more gig of memory for $270 US after rebate. Works fine along with the 1 Gig that came with the box for a total of 5 Gig. (We'll see how long it lasts.)

I'm happy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:

Originally posted by WinTelOutsider

After 16 years since owning/using a Mac, I swung by the local Apple store last Thursday and picked up the Power Mac G5 Quad preconfigured with 1 meg Ram, Nvidia 7800gt, wireless, and 500 GB Drive.

Sweet machine! But sounded like my old PC. Lot's of fan noise.

I saw a link to this site in another thread and decided to give this a try. http://www.hardmac.com/articles/54/

OMG!!! Even with the new fan set to high speed, you can not hear it. Only the fans in the back of the Quad. What a differenct.

On top of that, the GPU temp is now about 25 degrees F cooler during idle. It dropped from about 135 degrees F to 109 to 111 during idle.

I also dropped by Fry's today and picked up 4 more gig of memory for $270 US after rebate. Works fine along with the 1 Gig that came with the box for a total of 5 Gig. (We'll see how long it lasts.)

I'm happy.

I used to use that cooler on the 6800 Ultra in my G5 -- terrific addition.