DivX / XviD on Quicktime and Front Row

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay, I installed the DivX codec, the Xvid codec, the 3ivX codec, and all the Quicktime components, and nada. Of course, VLC plays everything, but Quicktime just won't do it.

Why do I care? Because I have TONS of movies on my hard drive that I want to play using Front Row. I have an iMac Intel Core Duo 20" for reference.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Philip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    i just tried this using a small divx movie and front row plays this without a problem. do your movies play in quicktime ? if not, did you install the universal binary version of the divx codec ? it just got released recently.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    The audio is probably windows media or some similar screwed up format, as a result QT won't play it. I have a couple DivX files around like that. If they do play in QT they play without sound.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    i downloaded the Intel beta version of DivX and now it works. silly me heheh.

thanks guys!

Philip
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

The audio is probably windows media or some similar screwed up format, as a result QT won't play it. I have a couple DivX files around like that. If they do play in QT they play without sound.

Wouldn't the flipmac plugin solve that problem?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

i tried that and it wouldnt install. "quicktime 6.5 or greater needed." i have quicktime 7.0.4, but it wouldnt take.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Very odd. You tried fixing disk permissions then installing?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Very odd. You tried fixing disk permissions then installing?

what does that mean?

i just opened my iMac yesterday. nothing should be wrong with it yet hehe...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Ok my guess is that you have one of the new Intel iMac right? If so, then to my knowledge flip4mac is only available for powerpc macs, and thus it won't work on Intel Macs. So you'll have to monitor their website and see when they come out with an Intel version.

Btw, fixing Disk permissions is advisable when you install a Mac OS update. This can be done by opening into Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Oddly enough it doesn't. Not quite certain why.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I think it'd be cool if iTunes could used the Divx, Xvid, 3ivx, and Flip4Mac plugins to play .avi's and .wmv's. Then I could play all my video file in iTunes.