iSight Integrated Quality on G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can someone report how well the G5 integrated iSight camera works?

Specifically how well it focuses on people 5-10 feet away. If we used one in a conference room for example, could it be used to capture a table full of people, or is it really meant for one person sitting right in front of it?

Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    bump.

id like to know this as well, for exactly the same purpose.

anyone able to tell us the focal distance on this?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

bump.

id like to know this as well, for exactly the same purpose.

anyone able to tell us the focal distance on this?

Well, I do not have one; but the built-in iSight on the iMac is fixed focus; whereas the stand-alone iSight has auto-focus.

As it is intended for desktop use, I would assume the focal distance to be the distance one would normally sit away from the screen; about 2-3 feet.

Quote:

Originally posted by abilstein

Specifically how well it focuses on people 5-10 feet away. If we used one in a conference room for example, could it be used to capture a table full of people?

Definitely not. For that, you will want to get a stand-alone iSight.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I would add that the external iSight is probably suited to be mounted and used in a variety of locations, but the new built-in cameras are tuned to their fixed mounting locations. Also, since they are closer to the screen, I think they're in a better location as far as eye-contact goes when video conferencing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    It's not so bad, although it's not a professional solution for videoconferencing by any stretch of imagination. As with most low-end cameras, it requires a lot of light. If you need a good videoconferencing solution, buy a cheapish DV cam and run it through firewire. You'll appreciate its ability to focus well and the larger lens will do wonders in flourescent-lit environments.