Can't Delete WMP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
At some point I had installed Windows Media Player 9 on my iBook. Now that I have flip4mac and quicktime handling any windows media files, I want to delete Media Player from the computer. Problem is that once the folder is in the trash, I can't empty the trash. It appears that all the package contents are locked even though the actual windows media player info window shows unlocked. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    You could try deleting it through the terminal.

Open up a terminal window, then start typing "sudo rm -dR ", then drag the file (from the trash or wherever on the desktop) to the terminal window and drop it. The entire path to the file should appear in the window. Press enter. Then type in your admin password.

File gone!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

At some point I had installed Windows Media Player 9 on my iBook. Now that I have flip4mac and quicktime handling any windows media files, I want to delete Media Player from the computer. Problem is that once the folder is in the trash, I can't empty the trash. It appears that all the package contents are locked even though the actual windows media player info window shows unlocked. Any thoughts?

Sometimes secure empty trash will work also. I believe that's how I got rid of WMP on my old G4...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Thanks for the suggestions, but neither seems to be working. I tried downloading the installer again, but it doesn't seem to contain an uninstaller. Maybe I should just leave it alone.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but neither seems to be working. I tried downloading the installer again, but it doesn't seem to contain an uninstaller. Maybe I should just leave it alone.

You can try downloading OnyX (it's a free maintenane program...). One of the options in the program is to force empty the trash. If those two things have failed, I'm sure OnyX would catch it..
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I have managed to delete awkward files in the trash by booting up in classic, emptying trash and then booting back in OSX.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

I had the same problem, and I've had WMP sitting in my trash for a few months, but I've just managed to sort it. Ctrl-click on the WMP and select 'Show Package Contents' Then go to Contents > Resources.

Here, there are six language folders; English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Swedish. Assuming you've got the English language version, then it's the files in all the OTHER folders that are locked, so go to French.lproj > HelpPages and there are two files there locked, so select both and Command-Option-I then you can deselect the 'Locked' option. Open the folder Htm as well, select all the files in here and do the same.

Repeat this for the other four languages, and voilÃ*, you'll be able to delete it from your trash.

edit: Can't count.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Man with the Iron Mac

I had the same problem, and I've had WMP sitting in my trash for a few months, but I've just managed to sort it. Ctrl-click on the WMP and select 'Show Package Contents' Then go to Contents > Resources.

Here, there are six language folders; English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Swedish. Assuming you've got the English language version, then it's the files in all the OTHER folders that are locked, so go to French.lproj > HelpPages and there are two files there locked, so select both and Command-Option-I then you can deselect the 'Locked' option. Open the folder Htm as well, select all the files in here and do the same.

Repeat this for the other four languages, and voilÃ*, you'll be able to delete it from your trash.

edit: Can't count.

HOLY CRAP! YOU ARE A GENIUS! Ding Dong the witch is dead! How in the world did you figure that out?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

HOLY CRAP! YOU ARE A GENIUS! Ding Dong the witch is dead! How in the world did you figure that out?

I used Windows til last summer, so I had to get used to sorting out some of MS's screw-ups!! It's funny, though, I kinda miss the challenge

I'd seen this thread, and tried some of the other suggestions, but, like you, they didn't work. I'd also deleted all the unlocked files by emptying the trash and clicking 'Continue' dozens of times, giving me a WMP that I couldn't use or delete so I figured maybe I could actually unlock them, and it was just the ones left that were still locked, making finding them much easier!